Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bettina Bettina is offline

Default Can word calculate a column in a table in a form template?

Hi.

I have a template that works like a form where people enter information into
text boxes.

One part of the form has a table and I want people to enter numbers into one
column. I would like the subtotal and total column to automatically add up
whatever numbers are entered.

Is this possible?
--
Bettina

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bettina Bettina is offline

Thank you for your speedy reply Susan.

When I choose insert field, I'm not sure what item to choose on the left
side to get a calculation. Also, if I have 10 cells where people will enter
the numbers, am I to put a code in those cells or just in the subtotal and
total cell that will add up the numbers?

Please advise.
Thanks soooo much!
--
Bettina

"Bettina" wrote in message
Hi.

I have a template that works like a form where people enter information

into
text boxes.

One part of the form has a table and I want people to enter numbers into

one
column. I would like the subtotal and total column to automatically add up
whatever numbers are entered.

Is this possible?
--
Bettina

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bettina Bettina is offline

Okay, I re-read your reply and entered a text form field in each cell of the
column I would like to automatically sum once numbers are entered.

Here's my confusion: when I place my cursor in the subtotal cell and choose
insert, field, there's no category for calculation. There is a box to choose
formula and if I choose that it wants a range?

Please help -- thank you!
--
Bettina

"Bettina" wrote in message
Hi.

I have a template that works like a form where people enter information

into
text boxes.

One part of the form has a table and I want people to enter numbers into

one
column. I would like the subtotal and total column to automatically add up
whatever numbers are entered.

Is this possible?
--
Bettina

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I think I misread your original post and thought you were already using form
fields in a protected form. If you are, then a calculation field is one type
of Text Form Field. If you're just using an unprotected table, then you can
use Formula fields, but you have to specify the range (the easiest, of
course, is Sum(Above), but that has limitations); see the Help topics
"Perform calculations in a table" and "Referencing cells in a table."

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Use a calculation form field; that is, insert a text form field and, in

the
Form Field Options, choose Calculation as the type and enter the desired
formula.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Bettina" wrote in message
Hi.

I have a template that works like a form where people enter

information
into
text boxes.

One part of the form has a table and I want people to enter numbers

into
one
column. I would like the subtotal and total column to automatically

add up
whatever numbers are entered.

Is this possible?
--
Bettina

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bettina Bettina is offline

Susan,

I'm really confused. I have created a document with text field boxes so that
people can enter numbers, check boxes, etc. One column of my table should
also have text field boxes for people to enter numbers. However, I want the
subtotal cell below it and the total below the subtotal to add the numbers
automatically based on what a person enters.

When I click on a given cell in the column, I add a text field and I have
chosen properties where I have changed the type to "calculation". The
expression box automatically adds a =. The max length is unlimited.'

I noticed that the text field box automatically locks now. I have 13 cells
in a column in a table where I want user's to enter numbers that will
automatically add up in the subtotal and total cell in the same column.

One of the reasons why I'm inquiring here is because I tried to make sense
of the help menu in word all day yesterday.

Please help. Thank you.
--
Bettina

"Bettina" wrote in message
Hi.

I have a template that works like a form where people enter

information
into
text boxes.

One part of the form has a table and I want people to enter numbers

into
one
column. I would like the subtotal and total column to automatically

add up
whatever numbers are entered.

Is this possible?
--
Bettina

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bettina Bettina is offline

Suzanne,

For every cell in the table before the subtotal column, I have placed a text
field box and under properties, have the code =sum(above). For the subtotal
cell, I have done the same. The subtotal cell is not adding a total for the
numbers I am entering. Also, the form fields freeze if I lock the sheet which
I need to because of the text fields.

Please tell me what I need to do in each cell so that a user can enter a
number and what to place in the subtotal cell and cells inbetween and the
final total cell. I'm having problems figuring this out.

Please let me know if you need further explanation.
Thanks so much!!!--
Bettina

"Bettina" wrote in message
Hi.

I have a template that works like a form where people enter

information
into
text boxes.

One part of the form has a table and I want people to enter numbers

into
one
column. I would like the subtotal and total column to automatically

add up
whatever numbers are entered.

Is this possible?
--
Bettina

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

When you protect the form, users can't type anywhere except where you've
placed form fields. That's the way forms work; you may want to read the
forms tutorials by Dian Chapman that are linked from
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...nTheBlanks.htm. When you
designate a Text Form Field as a calculation type, then user entry is
prohibited there as well; the content of the field depends on the
calculation. You should not be putting formulas in the fields where you want
users to enter numbers; you only want the formula where you want the
subtotal or total. Also, for all the form fields that contribute to the
calculation, you need to check the box for "Calculate on exit." Also, note
that calculations based on calculated fields may be incorrect; see €śWD2000:
Calculation in Form Field Shows Wrong Result€ť at
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=211253

"Bettina" wrote in message
Hi.

I have a template that works like a form where people enter

information
into
text boxes.

One part of the form has a table and I want people to enter

numbers
into
one
column. I would like the subtotal and total column to

automatically
add up
whatever numbers are entered.

Is this possible?
--
Bettina

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bettina Bettina is offline

I understand about forms. I've run into this problem because in my doc. I'd
like people to be able to enter numbers into a column of a table and have
them automatically add. The questions I've asked haven't been answered and I
really don't know why.

Thanks anyway.
--
Bettina

"Bettina" wrote in message
Hi.

I have a template that works like a form where people enter
information
into
text boxes.

One part of the form has a table and I want people to enter

numbers
into
one
column. I would like the subtotal and total column to

automatically
add up
whatever numbers are entered.

Is this possible?
--
Bettina

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bettina Bettina is offline

Good Morning Suzanne,

Thank you. The first part worked in that the 11th cell Added a total of the
cells 1-10 in the column. However, is there a way to:

-Keep the document as a form (locked) so that people can enter their
information into the text boxes; and

-How can I get the total cell (2 cells below the subtotal) to add only the
subtotal and the 2 cells below it?

Bettina

-

--
Bettina

"Bettina" wrote in message
Hi.

I have a template that works like a form where people enter
information
into
text boxes.

One part of the form has a table and I want people to enter
numbers
into
one
column. I would like the subtotal and total column to
automatically
add up
whatever numbers are entered.

Is this possible?
--
Bettina

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You must protect the form to allow it to be used properly. You must enter
the correct formula to add the relevant cells for your total. I believe the
Help and KB articles I have already pointed you to provide instruction on
how to do that.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Use a calculation form field; that is, insert a text form

field
and,
in
the
Form Field Options, choose Calculation as the type and enter

the
desired
formula.

Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to

the
newsgroup so
all may benefit.