Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Javi Javi is offline

Default cannot drop at current location

Specs: Microsoft Word 2007-XP Professional, File is large (.docx)

Problem:
I can't move my figures around my document. At the very bottom left, it
reads "cannot drop at current location" while I'm trying to drag and drop. I
checked the advanced setting and it's ticked to allow it. What gives?!

Please help-Thanks,

-JV
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Perhaps the document or that area of the document is protected? Can you do
any editing in the target area?

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"Javi" wrote in message
Specs: Microsoft Word 2007-XP Professional, File is large (.docx)

Problem:
I can't move my figures around my document. At the very bottom left, it
reads "cannot drop at current location" while I'm trying to drag and drop.
checked the advanced setting and it's ticked to allow it. What gives?!

Please help-Thanks,

-JV

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

If the graphic is In Line With Text, then it can be dropped only in a text
area (that is, somewhere in the document body where there is already text).
If it has any other wrapping style, you can put it anywhere.

http://word.mvps.org

"Javi" wrote in message
Specs: Microsoft Word 2007-XP Professional, File is large (.docx)

Problem:
I can't move my figures around my document. At the very bottom left, it
reads "cannot drop at current location" while I'm trying to drag and drop.
checked the advanced setting and it's ticked to allow it. What gives?!

Please help-Thanks,

-JV

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Javi Javi is offline

I'm not sure how I can determine if it is protected...but I can edit the text
and everything else. I just can drag and drop pictures or highlighted text...

Thanks!

"Javi" wrote in message
Specs: Microsoft Word 2007-XP Professional, File is large (.docx)

Problem:
I can't move my figures around my document. At the very bottom left, it
reads "cannot drop at current location" while I'm trying to drag and drop.
checked the advanced setting and it's ticked to allow it. What gives?!

Please help-Thanks,

-JV

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Javi Javi is offline

Thanks Suzanne. That wasn't the problem though-I had been moving stuff
around for weeks without a problem. All of a sudden it works now...I've read
other people having this problem (googled).

Thanks to everyone! The work week is almost over! =)

"Javi" wrote in message
Specs: Microsoft Word 2007-XP Professional, File is large (.docx)

Problem:
I can't move my figures around my document. At the very bottom left, it
reads "cannot drop at current location" while I'm trying to drag and drop.
checked the advanced setting and it's ticked to allow it. What gives?!

Please help-Thanks,

-JV

Dave Agans Dave Agans is offline
Junior Member

I have seen many people with intermittent occurance of "cannot drop at current location". I just discovered the reason -- I had a dialog box open (Find) and while it doesn't interfere with copy and paste, it does stop drag and drop editing from working. Close the dialog, drag and drop works. Open the dialog, get the error message. Hope all of you find this.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Specs: Microsoft Word 2007-XP Professional, File is large (.docx)

Problem:
I can't move my figures around my document. At the very bottom left, it
reads "cannot drop at current location" while I'm trying to drag and drop. I
checked the advanced setting and it's ticked to allow it. What gives?!

Please help-Thanks,

-JV
jedacandy jedacandy is offline
Junior Member

You can try:
Check if your file is locked. If it is, unlock the file and try again.
Try creating a new document and see if you can move images within the new document.
If you are using "Web Layout" view mode, try switching to a different view mode, such as "Print Layout".
If you are using a shared document, check if you have editing permission for the document.
Try copying and pasting the images to a new location (my location) within your document instead of dragging and dropping.
If none of these methods work, you can refer to the help documentation or contact the software provider for assistance.