Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
rosawood rosawood is offline

Default How do I convert a file to use with mail merge?

I have a 30 page file, which I had to scan in and OCR into a Word file,
delete double entries, correct spelling, etc., and which contains nothing but
names and addresses, all lines separated by a paragraph symbol. So, the file
consists of things like

Company ABC
1234 new road
Town, State 12345

Company DEF
4678 old road
Town, State 12346

I want to convert this to a form usable with a mail-merge document. Since
I've already spent hours putting this together, I'd like to find a less labor
intensive, time consuming way of doing it. The "help" file with Word 2003 is
less than helpful, and apparently mail merge is looking for different
delimiters between records. Any help would be most appreciated. Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

See "Convert Labels into Mail Merge Data File" on fellow MVP Graham Mayor's
website at:

http://www.gmayor.com/convert_labels...mail_merge.htm

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"rosawood" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Don't confuse the filename of a web page with the content of that page. You
need to jump in where the illustrations match your file.

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

See "Convert Labels into Mail Merge Data File" on fellow MVP Graham
Mayor's website at:

http://www.gmayor.com/convert_labels...mail_merge.htm

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
rosawood rosawood is offline

My data source is a list of addresses in a Word document. So, I move to that
directory, select the document, and I get a window that says "Data fields
must beseparated from each other by a character called a field delimiter.
etc." Then I'm supposed to select them, but after each and every line is a
paragraph symbol (enter?), and the field and record delimiters cannot be the
same. So, I have 30 pages of addresses. Am I supposed to manually put field
and/or record delimiters on all these addresses???

The instructions are for "excel" and "other data sources", but a Word
document doesn't seem to be one of the choices.

I selected Company, Address1, Address2, City, State, Postal Code, propagated
the labels, then did a Merge to New Document, and all the labels were empty.
I suspect it's because I don't have a field delimiter. I'm really hoping I
don't have to change every single address on all 30 pages.

In a word, I'm stuck.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

You need to really look at the article "Convert Labels into Mail Merge Data
File" on fellow MVP Graham Mayor's
website at:

http://www.gmayor.com/convert_labels...mail_merge.htm

The instructions on that page are NOT for "excel" and "other data sources".
Rather they explain how to convert a Word document that contains information
arranged as it would be on a sheet of labels, into a form that can be used
as a mail merge data source.

It gives you the steps that will enable you to AVOID manually puting field
and/or record delimiters in/after all of the addresses

Looking back at your original post, can we assume that when you click on the
Show/Hide button ¶, your document looks like:

Company ABC¶
1234 new road¶
Town, State 12345¶

Company DEF¶
4678 old road¶
Town, State 12346¶

If that is the case, you need to start following the instructions in that
article just under half way down the web page when the screen shot of the
Find and Replace dialog is shown.

--

"rosawood" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
rosawood rosawood is offline

Hmm. I had downloaded the PDF file and nothing like that appeared in it. I
guess I'll just stick to the online version. Thank you, I think this is what
I needed--and what I was afraid you'd say. Ugh. At least with Find and
Replace, it's a little faster than total manual replacent.

Joi de Vivre!

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

You need to really look at the article "Convert Labels into Mail Merge Data
File" on fellow MVP Graham Mayor's
website at:

http://www.gmayor.com/convert_labels...mail_merge.htm

The instructions on that page are NOT for "excel" and "other data sources".
Rather they explain how to convert a Word document that contains information
arranged as it would be on a sheet of labels, into a form that can be used
as a mail merge data source.

It gives you the steps that will enable you to AVOID manually puting field
and/or record delimiters in/after all of the addresses

Looking back at your original post, can we assume that when you click on the
Show/Hide button ¶, your document looks like:

Company ABC¶
1234 new road¶
Town, State 12345¶
¶
Company DEF¶
4678 old road¶
Town, State 12346¶
¶
If that is the case, you need to start following the instructions in that
article just under half way down the web page when the screen shot of the
Find and Replace dialog is shown.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
rosawood rosawood is offline

As I look again, I see that I downloaded the file below it--the XP 2003 file.
I'll download the correct one this time.

"rosawood" wrote:

Hmm. I had downloaded the PDF file and nothing like that appeared in it. I
guess I'll just stick to the online version. Thank you, I think this is what
I needed--and what I was afraid you'd say. Ugh. At least with Find and
Replace, it's a little faster than total manual replacent.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
rosawood rosawood is offline

Yes, I know. I had downloaded the wrong file. I have the right one now.
Thanks.

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

The PDF version of my web page contains the same information as the web
page?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
rosawood rosawood is offline

Thank you for all the help. I got the job done, and the letters sent out.