Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
wally

Default Search feature won't find word documents

I recently installed Microsoft Office. I frequently download documents
which, when I click on them, open in Microsoft Works Word 6.0. I can open
them with Office Word and I save as a *.doc file but it doesn't help. I want
to make Microsoft Office Word My primary word processor and enable all my
downloaded documents to be accessible to the Windows Search function. How
can I do this? Thanks
--
Wherever you go, there you are
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor

If you save your downloaded documents to your hard drive first, they become
files like any other and can be searched. If you open them directly from the
e-mail and save them from Word in the default location they are saved in the
temporary file structure of your hard drive where they are effectively lost.

wally wrote:
I recently installed Microsoft Office. I frequently download
documents which, when I click on them, open in Microsoft Works Word
6.0. I can open them with Office Word and I save as a *.doc file
but it doesn't help. I want to make Microsoft Office Word My primary
word processor and enable all my downloaded documents to be
accessible to the Windows Search function. How can I do this? Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Herb Tyson [MVP]

It sounds like a file association problem. You don't say which version of
Word you're using. If it's Word 2002 or 2003, I would try Help - Detect and
Repair, and see if that fixes the associations. If not, then I'd try Tools -
Folder Options - File Types in Windows Explorer. Find the DOC extension, and
set it to open with Microsoft Office Word.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
http://www.herbtyson.com
"wally" wrote in message
I recently installed Microsoft Office. I frequently download documents
which, when I click on them, open in Microsoft Works Word 6.0. I can
open
them with Office Word and I save as a *.doc file but it doesn't help. I
want
to make Microsoft Office Word My primary word processor and enable all my
downloaded documents to be accessible to the Windows Search function. How
can I do this? Thanks
--
Wherever you go, there you are

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
wally

Thanks for your help. I did as you suggested with partial results but that
led me to reinstalling Microsoft Word which solved the problem. Yes, it was
a files association problem. Thanks again.