Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Dax Arroway Dax Arroway is offline

Default Auto Calculate SUM formula in Table

I have a blank table (not form) with headers which gets filled in, row by
row, as transactions occur. I'm trying to SUM one of the columns (simple SUM
function). I'm trying { SUM(ABOVE) } which works if the table is already
filled out. But if it's blank and gets filled in, the SUM does not calculate
or update automatically. I'd like it to keep a running tally. I've also
tried { SUM(F2:F17) } excel-like code for the cells of the table I'm trying
to SUM but I get the same results; it only adds information already there.
I'd like it to function like excel does, auto updating as the numbers get
entered. Are there field codes or another way to write this to get it to
happen in a Word03 table?
Thanks in advance,
Dax
--
I would give my left hand to be ambidextrous!
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Auto Calculate SUM formula in Table

Hi Dax,

I understand that you are trying to create a running tally of a column in a table in Word 2003. Unfortunately, Word does not have the same automatic calculation capabilities as Excel, but there is a workaround that you can use.

You can use a formula field to calculate the sum of the column and update it automatically as new data is entered. Here are the steps to create the formula field:
  1. Click on the cell where you want the running tally to appear.
  2. Press Ctrl+F9 to insert a pair of field braces.
  3. Type "=SUM(ABOVE)" (without the quotes) inside the field braces.
  4. Press F9 to update the field.

Now, whenever you add new data to the column, the running tally will update automatically. You can also copy and paste the formula field to other cells in the same column to create additional running tallies.
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Dax Arroway Dax Arroway is offline

Of course I meant: { =SUM(ABOVE) } and I'm using F9 to insert the curly
brackets not just typing them in. (fingers just type too darn FAST!) *blush*
--

"Dax Arroway" wrote:

I have a blank table (not form) with headers which gets filled in, row by
row, as transactions occur. I'm trying to SUM one of the columns (simple SUM
function). I'm trying { SUM(ABOVE) } which works if the table is already
filled out. But if it's blank and gets filled in, the SUM does not calculate
or update automatically. I'd like it to keep a running tally. I've also
tried { SUM(F2:F17) } excel-like code for the cells of the table I'm trying
to SUM but I get the same results; it only adds information already there.
I'd like it to function like excel does, auto updating as the numbers get
entered. Are there field codes or another way to write this to get it to
happen in a Word03 table?
Thanks in advance,
Dax
--
I would give my left hand to be ambidextrous!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

Insert an Excel spreadsheet into the document in place of the table

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"Dax Arroway" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Hi Dax,

Although Word formulae do calculate automatically, they only do so dynamically in documents using formfields with the 'calculate on
exit' option checked. To get the SUM to update in an ordinary document, you'll need to select that cell and press F9. Alternatively,
do a Print Preview.

--
Cheers
macropod

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

Note that although switching to Print Preview updates many fields, it
doesn't update formula fields (not even if the option to update fields
before printing is selected in Word Options).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP