dariober dariober is offline
Junior Member

Default setting paragraph outline levels

Hello everyone,

My first post here...

I have a problem setting the outline levels for the paragraphs in my document. I'm working with Word 2007.

I have a document containing various styles. Two of them have outline level 1 and 2. Every other style has level 'Body Text'.

The problem is that Word assigns level 1 or 2 to paragraphs or lines that look like titles even if they are set to level 'Body text'. This causes a mess when I look at the document structure (Outline view in Word 2007).

I tried two approaches to reformat the document so to overcome Word's guessing of what is a level:

Method 1
- Select all document
- Set paragraph - outline level - 'Body Text'
(Now all the document is downgraded to Body text with no levels)
- Select all instances of 'Title 1'. Then Paragraph - outline level - 1
- Select all instances of 'Title 2'. Then Paragraph - outline level - 2
(Now the document structure is consistent with the styles' levels)

Method 2
Execute this macro that I found here http://word.mvps.org/faqs/general/DocumentMap.htm
-------------------[ Cut here ]----------------------
Sub ReSetOutline()

Dim myPara As Paragraph
For Each myPara In ActiveDocument.Paragraphs
myPara.OutlineLevel = myPara.style.ParagraphFormat.OutlineLevel
Next myPara

End Sub

Result: Both methods produce the correct result (paragraphs/lines as Body Text are body Text and Titles 1 and 2 have level 1 and 2).

However, after I work on the doc and I save and close it, when I re-open it the formatting I set with any of the two methods above is lost! Word returns to guessing what is a level 1 and 2... Back to square one!

How can I prevent Word from guessing what the level of a paragraph/line is and just obey to what I set?

Hope I've been clear
Many thanks

Dario