Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Paul Paul is offline

Default Comment balloons during mouse-over

In Word 2003, when I hover the mouse pointer above a comment, a
temporary balloon should pop up revealing what the comment is. Or so
I seem to recall. I'm trying to get that functionality back, since I'm
trying to maximum document viewing space by deliberately turned off
review markups normally shown in the right margin, and I've turned off
the reviewing pane. Is there a switch buried deep in the bowels of the
menu system for getting back the temporary hover bubbles?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If you have balloons disabled and ScreenTips enabled (Tools | Options |
View), you should be seeing the popups (even if you have balloons enabled,
you should see popups in Normal view).

There is a bug in Word 2002 that causes footnote ScreenTips not to be
displayed; see "WD2002: Footnote ScreenTip May Not Be Displayed" at
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=318865. I don't know whether the same
would affect comments or not, but I think the bug was fixed in Word 2003, so
it shouldn't be an issue in any case.

http://word.mvps.org

"Paul" wrote in message
In Word 2003, when I hover the mouse pointer above a comment, a
temporary balloon should pop up revealing what the comment is. Or so
I seem to recall. I'm trying to get that functionality back, since I'm
trying to maximum document viewing space by deliberately turned off
review markups normally shown in the right margin, and I've turned off
the reviewing pane. Is there a switch buried deep in the bowels of the
menu system for getting back the temporary hover bubbles?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If you're testing the same way I did, I can tell you why it doesn't work: If
you insert a comment without selecting any text, then you won't see a popup;
as long as you have at least one character selected, you will see a popup.

http://word.mvps.org

"Stefan Blom" wrote in message
Selecting "ScreenTips" on the View tab of Tools | Options should work--or
so I thought. When I test it, it doesn't work... :-(

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Paul" wrote in message
In Word 2003, when I hover the mouse pointer above a comment, a
temporary balloon should pop up revealing what the comment is. Or so
I seem to recall. I'm trying to get that functionality back, since I'm
trying to maximum document viewing space by deliberately turned off
review markups normally shown in the right margin, and I've turned off
the reviewing pane. Is there a switch buried deep in the bowels of the
menu system for getting back the temporary hover bubbles?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

OK, it will work if you have added your comment to a selection (that is, if you
selected text first).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Paul" wrote in message
In Word 2003, when I hover the mouse pointer above a comment, a
temporary balloon should pop up revealing what the comment is. Or so
I seem to recall. I'm trying to get that functionality back, since I'm
trying to maximum document viewing space by deliberately turned off
review markups normally shown in the right margin, and I've turned off
the reviewing pane. Is there a switch buried deep in the bowels of the
menu system for getting back the temporary hover bubbles?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Paul Paul is offline

It works for me without selecting any text. Weird. Thanks!

"Paul" wrote:
In Word 2003, when I hover the mouse pointer above a comment, a
temporary balloon should pop up revealing what the comment is. *Or so
I seem to recall. I'm trying to get that functionality back, since I'm
trying to maximum document viewing space by deliberately turned off
review markups normally shown in the right margin, and I've turned off
the reviewing pane. Is there a switch buried deep in the bowels of the
menu system for getting back the temporary hover bubbles?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

That *is* weird. Anyway, I'm glad you got it sorted.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Paul" wrote:
In Word 2003, when I hover the mouse pointer above a comment, a
temporary balloon should pop up revealing what the comment is. Or so
I seem to recall. I'm trying to get that functionality back, since I'm
trying to maximum document viewing space by deliberately turned off
review markups normally shown in the right margin, and I've turned off
the reviewing pane. Is there a switch buried deep in the bowels of the
menu system for getting back the temporary hover bubbles?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Well, thank you for confirming this. I found it out on my own because I couldn't
see your post until just recently.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Paul" wrote in message
In Word 2003, when I hover the mouse pointer above a comment, a
temporary balloon should pop up revealing what the comment is. Or so
I seem to recall. I'm trying to get that functionality back, since I'm
trying to maximum document viewing space by deliberately turned off
review markups normally shown in the right margin, and I've turned off
the reviewing pane. Is there a switch buried deep in the bowels of the
menu system for getting back the temporary hover bubbles?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I think maybe at some point in the past I determined that the only place a
point insertion doesn't work is at the very beginning of a document. So if
you are testing in an empty document, you would get that result.

"Paul" wrote:
In Word 2003, when I hover the mouse pointer above a comment, a
temporary balloon should pop up revealing what the comment is. Or so
I seem to recall. I'm trying to get that functionality back, since I'm
trying to maximum document viewing space by deliberately turned off
review markups normally shown in the right margin, and I've turned off
the reviewing pane. Is there a switch buried deep in the bowels of the
menu system for getting back the temporary hover bubbles?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Frank[_6_] Frank[_6_] is offline

Screentips seems to work for comments on my Word 2003...

Fairhope, Alabama USAhttp://word.mvps.org

"Paul" wrote in message

In Word 2003, when I hover the mouse pointer above a comment, a
temporary balloon should pop up revealing what the comment is. *Or so
I seem to recall. I'm trying to get that functionality back, since I'm
trying to maximum document viewing space by deliberately turned off
review markups normally shown in the right margin, and I've turned off
the reviewing pane. Is there a switch buried deep in the bowels of the
menu system for getting back the temporary hover bubbles?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Did you read the rest of the thread?

--
Stefan Blom