kenneth

Default excel tables to word

We are performing projcets which generates a excel sheet which has
identical layout but different contents. On the same project we have
to produce a word report. 10 of the tables in the excel document has
to be copied/linked to the word document. Is there a way to automate
this, it is time consuming to copy and paste the same tables for every
report.

regards kenneth
CyberTaz

Hi Kenneth-

There is probably a way through a VBA Procedure, but perhaps more trouble
than it is worth if I understand you correctly.

My interpretation is that you need to generate multiple reports which all
contain the same Excel tables (all of which are in the same file), but differ
in terms of text content. If so, you might do well to just create a template
file that provides the basic format of the reports and contains Links to the
workbook sheets (links if the data will be undergoing changes, embedded
objects if not). Rather than Copy/Paste, use InsertObject. If linking you
will need to create a separate link to each 'table'. If embedding you can
just embed once, copy/paste as many additional as necessary. Then
double-click each one and choose the sheet to be displayed in that respective
copy.

Granted, it will take a while to set up, but once saved as a Template (.dot)
any reports can be generated from it & none of that has to be repeated.

HTH |:)

"kenneth" wrote:

We are performing projcets which generates a excel sheet which has
identical layout but different contents. On the same project we have
to produce a word report. 10 of the tables in the excel document has
to be copied/linked to the word document. Is there a way to automate
this, it is time consuming to copy and paste the same tables for every
report.

regards kenneth

kenneth

HTH

I'm sorry for my last explanation. I just want to create one report
from one excel spreadsheet for each project. But the templates for
both documents are equal, i.e the tables in the excel sheet will go
into the same place in the word report each time. One problem with
linking is that I have to go in and change the name of the file for
each project.

I guess I have to write som VBA code to do that stuff atuomatically -
change the file reference for each obejct. But is the
linking/embedding the best solution? What about merge? XML? I just
don't know how many ways to do this and which is the most efficient.

Kenneth