Validate table contents

Old July 11th 05, 05:48 AM
Peter Hattam

Default Validate table contents

I have a table in a word document (which acts as a template) that I add rows
to as needed. Is there a way that I can validate that the values in a
specific column are from a list of values? I thought about using a combo-box
but am not sure how this would work if another row is added to the table. It
doesn't seem that creating a form is the most appropriate solution, but I am
open to any suggestions.
Old July 11th 05, 01:21 PM
Jay Freedman

On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 21:48:02 -0700, Peter Hattam
wrote:

I have a table in a word document (which acts as a template) that I add rows
to as needed. Is there a way that I can validate that the values in a
specific column are from a list of values? I thought about using a combo-box
but am not sure how this would work if another row is added to the table. It
doesn't seem that creating a form is the most appropriate solution, but I am
open to any suggestions.

You can probably do what you want with an AutoTextList field, which
presents a dropdown list of AutoText entries from a particular
category. See http://word.mvps.org/faqs/tblsfldsfms/AutoTextList.htm.

Because you can save AutoText entries only in a template, not in a
document, you should save your current document as a real template.
Just use File SaveAs and set the file type to "Document Template
(*.dot)". Then create your working document by using File New and
selecting the template.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman