Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
April

Default Word to HTML?

I need to convert a few hundred documents from Word format to HTML for a
project. The problem is, when I save the document to Web Filtered, Word
embeds all this.... stuff. There's tons of extra code. And this extra code is
playing havoc with my web pages. Is there any way to convert a Word document
to HTML without the embedded extra code? I'd even settle for an add-on or
extra program I could buy that would do this. (I'm using Word 2003.)

Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.

April
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?QXByaWw=?=,

I need to convert a few hundred documents from Word format to HTML for a
project. The problem is, when I save the document to Web Filtered, Word
embeds all this.... stuff. There's tons of extra code. And this extra code is
playing havoc with my web pages. Is there any way to convert a Word document
to HTML without the embedded extra code? I'd even settle for an add-on or
extra program I could buy that would do this. (I'm using Word 2003.)

You can to a certain extent set what Word saves or doesn't save to HTML in
Tools/OPtions/General/Web options. If that doesn't strip out enough, there's a
tool called HTML Filter 2.1 that was released for Word 2000 and gives you a much
finer tuning. I think it also has a batchfile capability. Since Word 2003 still
uses the same file format, the tool can be used with 2003.

Unless you have Office 2000 installed on the system, you can't run the tool's
Setup program, but that shouldn't be a problem. Copy the MSFilter.exe file to
any valid file path. (If you want to use the batch processing tool, this Path
needs to be in the Windows PATH environment variable.)

In order to use it as an Addin with Word, copy MSFilter.dot to your Word STARTUP
folder or load it as an Addin over Tools/Templates and Addins.

Something else to try would be to copy/paste the Word text into FrontPage.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)