Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
jezzica85

Default Distinguishing apostrophes

Hi all,
I'm writing a Java program that takes a text file I made from a Word
document, and I need to be able to distinguish between apostrophes and single
closing quotes. I've looked up the two symbols in Word, and they're
definitely different, so I tried making a shortcut key to always insert an
apostrophe, but whenever I do it it still inserts the same character for both
apostrophes and closing quotes. Is there a way to insert an apostrophe
automatically so it looks like the straight mark it's supposed to be in the
symbols, instead of the curly closing quote?
Thanks!
jezzica85
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
lallous

Hello

I noticed that those curly quotes have ASCII codes: 0x93 and 0x94.
However, if you try to insert them manually as: ALT+147 or ALT+148 in
notepad, they don't work!

So perhaps your Java program can look for 0x93 and 0x94 characters and
replace them with 0x22 which is the normal double quote.

HTH,
Elias
"jezzica85" wrote in message
Hi all,
I'm writing a Java program that takes a text file I made from a Word
document, and I need to be able to distinguish between apostrophes and
single
closing quotes. I've looked up the two symbols in Word, and they're
definitely different, so I tried making a shortcut key to always insert an
apostrophe, but whenever I do it it still inserts the same character for
both
apostrophes and closing quotes. Is there a way to insert an apostrophe
automatically so it looks like the straight mark it's supposed to be in
the
symbols, instead of the curly closing quote?
Thanks!
jezzica85

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

However, if you try to insert them manually as: ALT+147 or ALT+148 in
notepad, they don't work!

That's because you need ALT+0147 or 0148 (for double quotes)!

"jezzica85" wrote in message
Hi all,
I'm writing a Java program that takes a text file I made from a Word
document, and I need to be able to distinguish between apostrophes
and single
closing quotes. I've looked up the two symbols in Word, and they're
definitely different, so I tried making a shortcut key to always
insert an apostrophe, but whenever I do it it still inserts the same
character for both
apostrophes and closing quotes. Is there a way to insert an
apostrophe automatically so it looks like the straight mark it's
supposed to be in the
symbols, instead of the curly closing quote?
Thanks!
jezzica85

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom

And NUMLOCK must be activated.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"jezzica85" wrote in message
Hi all,
I'm writing a Java program that takes a text file I made from a

Word
document, and I need to be able to distinguish between

apostrophes
and single
closing quotes. I've looked up the two symbols in Word, and

they're
definitely different, so I tried making a shortcut key to always
insert an apostrophe, but whenever I do it it still inserts the

same
character for both
apostrophes and closing quotes. Is there a way to insert an
apostrophe automatically so it looks like the straight mark it's
supposed to be in the
symbols, instead of the curly closing quote?
Thanks!
jezzica85

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
jezzica85

Hi,
Thank you, I knew about the different ascii codes and how to distinguish
them, I guess I wasn't clear enough. What I need to do is figure out a way to
insert the apostrophe symbol in a Word document, not the closing quote,
without typing everything first and then replacing them all, so my program
can distinguish them later. My document is really long and it would be a real
pain to go through it manually and replace all the single quotes with
apostrophes one at a time. I already tried find and replace, and it doesn't
work.

"jezzica85" wrote in message
Hi all,
I'm writing a Java program that takes a text file I made from a Word
document, and I need to be able to distinguish between apostrophes and
single
closing quotes. I've looked up the two symbols in Word, and they're
definitely different, so I tried making a shortcut key to always insert an
apostrophe, but whenever I do it it still inserts the same character for
both
apostrophes and closing quotes. Is there a way to insert an apostrophe
automatically so it looks like the straight mark it's supposed to be in
the
symbols, instead of the curly closing quote?
Thanks!
jezzica85

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

When you insert a "straight" apostrophe, no matter how you do it, Word will
AutoCorrect it if you have the relevant AutoFormat As You Type option
(Replace as you type: "Straight quotes" with "smart quotes") enabled. Try
disabling this option. You can still type "curly" apostrophes and quotes
using the built-in keyboard shortcuts, such as Ctrl+',' for an apostrophe
(see http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/InsertSpecChars.htm). Alternatively,
press Ctrl+Z (Undo) immediately after the AutoCorrection to reverse it.

"jezzica85" wrote in message
Hi all,
I'm writing a Java program that takes a text file I made from a Word
document, and I need to be able to distinguish between apostrophes and

single
closing quotes. I've looked up the two symbols in Word, and they're
definitely different, so I tried making a shortcut key to always insert an
apostrophe, but whenever I do it it still inserts the same character for

both
apostrophes and closing quotes. Is there a way to insert an apostrophe
automatically so it looks like the straight mark it's supposed to be in

the
symbols, instead of the curly closing quote?
Thanks!
jezzica85

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

Find and replace surely will work!
Turn off the autoformat while you type option to substitute smart quotes
then replace
[^0145^0146]
with
^039