Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dave Neve Dave Neve is offline

Default Page break and header/footer problems with RTF document

Hello

I have an .rtf document which I got off a CD (it is photocopiable material
for teachers)

The problem is I need to edit this document a little bit before I can use
it.

Basically, I wanted to gain space but there seems to be a page break in it
cos I can't move text up from page 2 to page 1

However, I can't see the page break even when I display paragraph markers
etc by clicking on the 'line break' icon

The second possibility is that this is caused by the header and footers in
the document but I can't seem to supress these either using the usual method
(select and supress). There doesn't seem to be a supress option when I put
my cursor inside a header

Have to admit that I am not the world's foremost expert on these functions
but normally I manage to get rid of these things at the end of the day.

But not this time.

Any ideas as to why?

Thanks

Dave Neve

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Dave

Dave Neve wrote:
Basically, I wanted to gain space but there seems to be a page break in it
cos I can't move text up from page 2 to page 1

However, I can't see the page break even when I display paragraph markers
etc by clicking on the 'line break' icon

There are a bunch of methods how a paragraph can be forced unto a new
page. Check Format | Paragraphs in the layout tab for the most common
besides a Page (or Section) Break.

The second possibility is that this is caused by the header and footers in
the document but I can't seem to supress these either using the usual method
(select and supress).

There's no setting to "supress" a header (in Word, maybe you are
familiar with a different text processer?) -- you simply double-click in
the header area and then delete what's there that is not to your liking.

Greetings
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS
\ / | MVP
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

Hi Dave -

Definitely explore the points offered by Robert - I just wanted to clarify
one thing based on the last part of your post...

Headers & Footers don't cause page breaks, it's whatever causes the page
breaks that generates Headers & Footers. IOW suppressing (even if you could)
or deleting them will not remove the cause of the page breaks.

It may also help if you switch to Normal View - sometimes Section Breaks are
easier to spot.

Regards |:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac