Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
aboeing aboeing is offline

Default Word 2007: Equation: Create a custom operator?

Hi, I would like to create my own "large operator" (like a 'sum'), but I am
not sure how I can do this.
I have tried making a 1x3 matrix however this makes the central part too
small and is then inconsistant with the rest of the equations formatting. If
I just try using a 'script' then I can not get the upper and lower boxes to
sit directly above & below the symbol.

The operator I am trying to create is a "for each" operator (an upside down
A), starting from i=0 and going to n.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bob Mathews Bob Mathews is offline

On 11-Jun-2007, aboeing wrote:

Hi, I would like to create my own "large operator" (like a
'sum'), but I am not sure how I can do this. I have tried
making a 1x3 matrix however this makes the central
part too small and is then inconsistant with the rest of
the equations formatting. If I just try using a 'script'
then I can not get the upper and lower boxes to sit
directly above & below the symbol.

The matrix approach sounds like a reasonable way to solve your
problem. Did you try setting the size to "Symbol" for the central
part? You'll need to do this manually via Equation Editor's
"Size" menu. Also set the upper & lower boxes to "Subscript"
size.

--
Bob Mathews
Director of Training
bobm at dessci.com
FREE fully-functional 30-day evaluation of MathType 5
MathType, WebEQ, MathPlayer, MathFlow, Equation Editor, TeXaide
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
aboeing aboeing is offline

Thank you for your solution. This did indeed work with the old equation
editor. (Insert, object, Microsoft Equation 3.0) I just rewrote my equations
using the old editor.

Although, it would be nice if it would be possible with the new version that
is integrated with the ribbon bar. If anyone knows how to change the sizes of
individual symbols in the newer equation editor your advice would be welcome.

bobm at dessci.com
FREE fully-functional 30-day evaluation of MathType 5
MathType, WebEQ, MathPlayer, MathFlow, Equation Editor, TeXaide

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

On 12-Jun-2007, aboeing wrote:

Thank you for your solution. This did indeed work with the
old equation editor. (Insert, object, Microsoft Equation 3.0)
I just rewrote my equations using the old editor.

Although, it would be nice if it would be possible with the new
version that is integrated with the ribbon bar. If anyone knows
how to change the sizes of individual symbols in the newer
equation editor your advice would be welcome.

If this can be done with the new equation authoring tool, I don't
know how to do it either. Changing the size is possible, but
everything I tried changes the size of everything in the
equation.

Incidentally with regard to the solution quoted below, there's an
easier way, and I'm a bit embarrassed that I didn't think of it
earlier. Hope to redeem myself by mentioning it now...

There's no need to use a matrix, since we've already included a
template for this situation on the Equation Editor tool bar. It's
in the second row (the Template Palettes), third from the left.
(If you point to it with the mouse pointer, it says "Subscript
and superscript templates".) When you click to drop down this
palette, the template you need is in the bottom row, third
column, and is labeled "Large operator with over-script and
under-script limits". If you use this template, the sizes are
already set, and the limits are already the proper space from the
center symbol.

--
Bob Mathews
Director of Training