brandie

Default Extra space in links to Excel

I am setting up a Word document that links to information in an Excel
spreadsheet.

If I paste a link into a blank document (using Edit Paste Special Paste
Link: Unformatted Text, then it comes over correctly, with just the contents
of the Excel cell.

If I paste into an existing document, it seems to try to format itself to
correctly fit into the document, but it's doing it wrong. When I paste the
link into the middle of a sentence, it's adding on a space in the *linked*
part, which is unneeded because I already have a space in the Word document.
It doesn't change it in the Excel sheet, just in the pasted link.

I can easily delete the space out of the Word document to prevent having a
double space in the middle of a sentence, but when I'm pasting at the end of
a sentence, it's still putting a space before the period.

I tried hitting enter a few times to move all the text that would follow the
link down onto a new line. When I paste the link then, it's fine. But when
I add the period back in behind it, the period gets "sucked in" to the linked
text and, again, a space is added.

I know I can delete the extra spaces and whatever other problems from the
link by hand, but when it updates, it removes that formatting. Has anyone
seen anything like this before?
CyberTaz

Hi Brandie-

I've been playing around with this, and I'm guessing that the XL content is
a formatted value (currency in particular), and that the formatting in XL was
applied using the Currency or Comma button on the Formatting Toolbar.

If I'm right, the problem comes from the fact that these buttons actually
apply Styles (rather than standard Formats) which include spaces in order to
position the content of the cell away from the cell walls. IOW, the spaces
are being pasted in because they really are there in the cell being copied.

Unless there is a VBA solution, the only way I know of to avoid the problem
is to reformat the cells using standard formats (FormatCellsNumber) which
don't add any spaces. It wouldn't surprise me, however, if someone out there
can provide you with a macro to handle the task.

HTH |:)

"brandie" wrote:

[...]

brandie

Taz,
Thank you for your help!

You're correct that the cells are in Currency format; however, I'm not sure
if it was from the formatting toolbar or from Right clicking and doing
"Format Cells..." as I was not the one who compiled the worksheet.

When I check the formatting of the cell, it does say Currency as the
category. Perhaps it's been done both ways. Is there a way to remove that
Syle setting that happened if the Currency button in the Format Toolbar was
clicked?

Thanks....

"brandie" wrote:

[...]

CyberTaz

Doesn't seem like it should be necessary, although 'stubborn' is not foreign
to dialog descriptive of MS software

Select the cells involved, go to EditClearFormats, then (while the cells
are still selected) go to FormatCellsNumber, select Currency & see if that
does the trick.

Regards |:)