Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Skye Skye is offline

Default Opening Word 03 docs with Word 07

Just switched computers and now run Vista with Word 07. Saved my files from
my old computer (XP, Word 03) to a flash drive, then to new computer. Some of
these word files open, some do not. The ones that do open, open in
compatibility mode as they are supposed to. The ones that won't open do open
a Word document, but it's always blank and 7 pages long and doesn't have
compatibility mode in the window beside the name.

Any ideas??
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi ?B?U2t5ZQ==?=,

Just switched computers and now run Vista with Word 07. Saved my files from
my old computer (XP, Word 03) to a flash drive, then to new computer. Some of
these word files open, some do not. The ones that do open, open in
compatibility mode as they are supposed to. The ones that won't open do open
a Word document, but it's always blank and 7 pages long and doesn't have
compatibility mode in the window beside the name.

Any ideas??

And you're sure the text isn't formatted as hidden or white? Are you able to
select anything in this "emptiness"?

You still have that old computer?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Skye Skye is offline

Cindy -

I don't know how to know if the text is formatted as hidden, but it's not
white.

I can highlight/select a paragraph-sized space on the first page, but that's
all that appears to be in the document.

Yes, I still have the old computer.

Skye

"Cindy M." wrote:

And you're sure the text isn't formatted as hidden or white?
Are you able to select anything in this "emptiness"?

You still have that old computer?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi ?B?U2t5ZQ==?=,

I don't know how to know if the text is formatted as hidden, but it's not
white.

I can highlight/select a paragraph-sized space on the first page, but that's
all that appears to be in the document.

Do you have the display of non-printing characters activated? (That's the
backwards 'P' in the Home tab of the Ribbon.) If not turn that on and see if
you can see anything at all on the page? If you can, does the text have dots
under it?

How about if you copy what you can select, open a new document, then use the
"Paste special" entry from the menu on the "Paste" button (also Home) tab.
Select the "unformatted Text" entry. Does that give you the text (without any
formatting)?

Yes, I still have the old computer.

OK, don't throw it away,yet...