Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Allison Allison is offline

Default Form fields and copy paste

I have created a legal pleadings form and have used ref fields in order to
automatically populate data from one field (like Text 1) to another location
in the form.

I have run into a problem when copying data into the original form field
(like Text 1) and having that data appear in the appropriate ref fields.

Can this be done and if so how?

Please help!
--
Thanks, Allison
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
macropod macropod is offline

Hi Allison,

Provided your formfield's properties are set to 'calculate on exit' and your document is protected for forms, the REF fields
pointing to it should update automatically as soon as you exit the formfield.

Cheers
--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"Allison" wrote in message ...
I have created a legal pleadings form and have used ref fields in order to
automatically populate data from one field (like Text 1) to another location
in the form.

I have run into a problem when copying data into the original form field
(like Text 1) and having that data appear in the appropriate ref fields.

Can this be done and if so how?

Please help!
--
Thanks, Allison

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Allison Allison is offline

thanks for your response, and that is what I thought.

If I type text into the protected form, the text copies to the ref field as
I do have the calculate on exit box checked. However, these legal
secretaries copy and paste the description of the charge from attorney's
notes (another word document) into the formal legal pleadings document that
they are preparing. When they copy and paste text into the field, it does
not calculate on exit and move that description to the ref fields that it
needs to go to. I am confused and desparate to fix this! Thanks again for
your help!
--
Thanks, Allison

"Allison" wrote in message ...
I have created a legal pleadings form and have used ref fields in order to
automatically populate data from one field (like Text 1) to another location
in the form.

I have run into a problem when copying data into the original form field
(like Text 1) and having that data appear in the appropriate ref fields.

Can this be done and if so how?

Please help!
--
Thanks, Allison

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Allison Allison is offline

Also, as long as I am at it, are there any tricks to putting ref codes in
footers?
Thanks again.
--
Thanks, Allison

"Allison" wrote in message ...
I have created a legal pleadings form and have used ref fields in order to
automatically populate data from one field (like Text 1) to another location
in the form.

I have run into a problem when copying data into the original form field
(like Text 1) and having that data appear in the appropriate ref fields.

Can this be done and if so how?

Please help!
--
Thanks, Allison

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

REF fields in the header/footer of a protected form do not update
automatically; you can use a StyleRef field instead; see
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/StyleRef.htm

"Allison" wrote in message

I have created a legal pleadings form and have used ref fields in

order to
automatically populate data from one field (like Text 1) to another

location
in the form.

I have run into a problem when copying data into the original form

field
(like Text 1) and having that data appear in the appropriate ref

fields.

Can this be done and if so how?

Please help!
--
Thanks, Allison

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Allison Allison is offline

Suzanne:

thanks so much. I will definitely try this and I am glad to be introduced
to the StyleRef field.

I still can't get data that I copy and paste into a text form field with the
calculate on exit box checked to repeat to the ref field. When I type text
in it works beautifully, so I think I have it all set up correctly. I really
need the function of copying text into a field on a protected form repeat to
other fields. Any tricks here?

Thanks again. Allison
--
Thanks, Allison