Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Journey51 Journey51 is offline

Default Character spacing

I get Word 2003 documents from others in my company where one line of text
(say, a heading) is suppose to have 6 pt line spacing above and 12 pt line
spacing below. If there is a blank line above it, this shows 6 pts above and
12 pts below, but if I take the blank line out, where the paragraph above
also has 12 pt line spacing below, the one line of text no longer shows the 6
pts above--in other words the spacing showing is 12 pts between the one line
of text and the paragraph above it, where it should be 18 pts total. Anyone
have any idea how I can adjust these documents where this happens?

Thank you!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Klaus Linke Klaus Linke is offline

Word uses the larger value, not the sum.

There's an option setting to change that (Tools Options Compatibility...
something about HTML spacing I think).

But I would just adapt my style definitions accordingly.
The default behaviour gives you a lot more possibilities to fine-tune the
spacing between different style paragraphs.

Regards,
Klaus

"Journey51" wrote:
I get Word 2003 documents from others in my company where one line of text
(say, a heading) is suppose to have 6 pt line spacing above and 12 pt
line
spacing below. If there is a blank line above it, this shows 6 pts above
and
12 pts below, but if I take the blank line out, where the paragraph above
also has 12 pt line spacing below, the one line of text no longer shows
the 6
pts above--in other words the spacing showing is 12 pts between the one
line
of text and the paragraph above it, where it should be 18 pts total.
Anyone
have any idea how I can adjust these documents where this happens?

Thank you!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

I recall how confusing that was to me when I first encountered it and how
grateful I was to whoever it was who pointed out the option. It was
introduced in Word 2000, I think, but I skipped from 97 to 2002, so by the
time I encountered it, plenty of people had learned how to deal with it!

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

The option is "Don't use HTML paragraph auto spacing." Check the box to

get
the full sum value rather than the greater of the amounts.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Journey51" wrote:
[...]

Character spacing problems Les Logiciels Informat New Users 1 April 17th 07 10:38 PM
uneven character spacing Ian Microsoft Word Help 2 March 21st 07 02:37 PM
Character Spacing mwf05 Microsoft Word Help 1 January 12th 06 10:29 AM
Character Spacing Kristin Page Layout 1 November 3rd 05 06:52 PM
Heading character spacing tvb68 Formatting Long Documents 3 February 25th 05 09:23 PM