StainlessSteelRat

Default Vertical split?

Hi folks,

I tried a Google Groups search on this, but couldn't find exactly what I was
after.

I want to use the Window Split command to split vertically rather than
horizontally.

Clearly as it's the split command I want to perform this function on the
*same* document, not to compare two different documents (using the compare
side-by-side routine) or to open two documents in Word and tile the document
windows.

Did MS include this option to use the split vertically?

Thanks

Jay Freedman

StainlessSteelRat wrote:
Hi folks,

I tried a Google Groups search on this, but couldn't find exactly
what I was after.

I want to use the Window Split command to split vertically rather than
horizontally.

Clearly as it's the split command I want to perform this function on
the *same* document, not to compare two different documents (using
the compare side-by-side routine) or to open two documents in Word
and tile the document windows.

Did MS include this option to use the split vertically?

Thanks

No, not quite like the horizontal split. But if you use the Window New
Window command and then Compare Side-by-Side, you get nearly the same
effect.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

StainlessSteelRat

Clearly as it's the split command I want to perform this function on
the *same* document, not to compare two different documents (using
the compare side-by-side routine) or to open two documents in Word
and tile the document windows.

Did MS include this option to use the split vertically?

Thanks

No, not quite like the horizontal split. But if you use the Window New
Window command and then Compare Side-by-Side, you get nearly the same
effect.

Thanks for the reply

As mentioned though, I want to use this on the *same* document, not compare
with a different document. This doesn't seem to be possible, I can only
compare with different documents.

Jay Freedman

StainlessSteelRat wrote:
Clearly as it's the split command I want to perform this function on
the *same* document, not to compare two different documents (using
the compare side-by-side routine) or to open two documents in Word
and tile the document windows.

Did MS include this option to use the split vertically?

Thanks

No, not quite like the horizontal split. But if you use the Window
New Window command and then Compare Side-by-Side, you get nearly the
same effect.

Thanks for the reply

As mentioned though, I want to use this on the *same* document, not
compare with a different document. This doesn't seem to be possible,
I can only compare with different documents.

The New Window command does give you a second window into the *same*
document, and the Compare command then uses both windows in the same
document. If you then want to look at different parts of the document in the
two windows, click the Synchronous Scrolling button on the floating toolbar
to turn it off.

Try it, you'll like it. :-)

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

StainlessSteelRat

The New Window command does give you a second window into the *same*
document, and the Compare command then uses both windows in the same
document. If you then want to look at different parts of the document in
the
two windows, click the Synchronous Scrolling button on the floating
toolbar
to turn it off.

Try it, you'll like it. :-)

Ahhhhh, gotcha!

I didn't understand that you could open a second window (with Window New
Window) for the *same* document. Now that's sunk in I've got it working :-)

I was wondering how Word would deal with edits on one window, but of course
it just updates the second window.

Great feature! And thanks for your help.

Jay Freedman

On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 11:44:36 +0100, "StainlessSteelRat"
wrote:

The New Window command does give you a second window into the *same*
document, and the Compare command then uses both windows in the same
document. If you then want to look at different parts of the document in
the
two windows, click the Synchronous Scrolling button on the floating
toolbar
to turn it off.

Try it, you'll like it. :-)

Ahhhhh, gotcha!

I didn't understand that you could open a second window (with Window New
Window) for the *same* document. Now that's sunk in I've got it working :-)

I was wondering how Word would deal with edits on one window, but of course
it just updates the second window.

Great feature! And thanks for your help.

You're certainly welcome!

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman