Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Arlene Arlene is offline

Default Word 2007 header with page number won't work

In Word 2007, when I insert a header and try to add a page number to it, it
blows the header away. How can I insert a header, add a page number, and have
no
page number or header on the first page. I've tried everything. Thanks in
advance. Below is the workaround I'm using but surely there's a better way.

To insert a page number in the top right-hand corner of the page, remove the
page number from the first page, and create a second page header with text
and a border:

1.From the Insert tab, Header & Footer group, click Page Number.
2.Click Top of Page.
3.Click Plain Number 3 from the gallery of designs to position the page
number in the top right-hand corner of the page. You should now be inside the
Header section with the page number showing and the document dimmed.
Note: If the wrong page number is displayed, do this: From the Insert tab,
in the Header & Footer group, click Page Number. Click Format Page Numbers.
In the Start at box, type the desired number; click OK
4.From the Page Layout tab, click the Page Setup Dialog Box Launcher, and
then click the Layout tab. Under Headers and footers, check Different first
page; click OK. You should now be in the First Page Header section and the
page number should be gone.
Note: If the page number is still in the First Page Header, select the page
number and cut it.
5.Scroll down until you see the header on the second page, and click inside
it. You should be inside the Header section of the second page with the
document dimmed.
6. Press Ctrl-L to align the text at the left. The page number will
temporarily move to the left.
7.Type any desired text.
8.Press TAB twice to move the page number to the right margin.
9.Type Page and type a space.
10.Press END to move to the end of the page number in the header and press
ENTER 1 time.
11.From the Home tab, Paragraph group, click the list arrow to expand the
border list.
12.Click Horizontal Line.
13.Press Ctrl + A to select all text and change any fonts as desired, or
select text individually and change any formatting as desired.
14.Double-click anywhere outside the First Page Header pane inside the
document area to close the Design tab and to return to the document or click
the Close Header and Footer button. The header should now be dimmed and the
document should be active. Note that the first page header is blank and the
second page should now have text, the page number, and a bottom border.
15.Double-click anywhere inside the header to reopen the header and the
Header & Footer Tools with the Design tab, and double-click anywhere outside
the header to close it.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

1. From the Insert Tab, select Header
2. Select Plain Header
3. With the selection in the Header pane, from the Design tab, click on
the Insert Alignment Tab
4. Click on the Right Radio Button in the Alignment Tab dialog.
5. From the Quick Parts item on the Insert chunk of the Design tab,
select Field
6. Scroll down to the Page field item.
7. Select the format for the numbering then click on OK.
8. Now, if you do not want the number on the first page of the document,
check the Different First Page item in the Options Chunk of the Design tab.

Of course the quicker way to do it is:

1. If the horizontal ruler is not visible, press hold down the Alt key
and press u to display it.
2. Double Click in the top margin area of the document to open the Header
pane.
3. Press the tab key twice to move to the right aligned tab stop
4. Press Ctrl+F9 to insert a pair of field delimiters { }
5. Inside them type "page" so that you have { page }
6. Press Alt+F9 to toggle off the display of field codes
7. Check the Different First Page item in the Options Chunk of the Design
tab.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Arlene" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Arlene Arlene is offline

Hi, Doug--that information helped a lot to teach me about a lot of other
options I never even knew existed. Thank you!! Can you explain what [Type
Text] is when I create a header? Here are my revised steps. I'm a textbook
author if you're wondering why I'm so caught up in detail.

1. From the Insert tab, click the Header button; click Blank.
2. You will see [Type text] highlighted. Type the desired text, and press
TAB twice to move to the right margin.
3. From the Design tab, click Page Number, Current Position, Plain Number.
Note: If the wrong page number is displayed, do this: from the Insert tab,
in the Header & Footer group, click Page Number. Click Format Page Numbers.
In the Start at box, type the desired number; click OK.
4. Press Ctrl + A to select all header text and make any desired font changes.
5. Press the right arrow on the keyboard to deselect the text and to move to
the line below the header.
6. From the Home tab, Paragraph group, click the list arrow on the Borders
button, and click the Bottom Border button.
7. From the Design tab, click Different First Page.
Note: You should now be in the First Page Header section and it should be
blank. If the page number is still in the First Page Header, select the page
number and cut it.
8. Scroll down to the second page to see the header which should now have

"Arlene" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

The [Type text] that you are referring to is a Content Control. These are a
type of form element introduced with Word 2007 that can be entered into a
document via the Controls chunk of the Developer tab to indicate a place in
the document where the user should enter some information.

--

"Arlene" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Arlene Arlene is offline

It must have some good use or they would have just left the area blank. What
is the advantage of having it if people just type and delete it?

"Arlene" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

The way it's used in this particular feature, the Content Control is
simply a placeholder, a reminder that something is expected there. If
you select the control and then click Developer (Controls chunk)
Properties, you'll see that the option is checked for "Remove content
control when contents are edited". This is the same function that used
to be served by a MacroButton field pointing to a nonexistent macro
(and that technique still works).

Content controls have many other uses when that option isn't checked.
Read as many of the articles at
http://blogs.msdn.com/microsoft_offi...s/default.aspx
as you can manage -- start from the oldest (bottom of the list).

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman