Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
kirk kirk is offline

Default spell check not 100%

In certain parts of my document, misspelled words are never caught. If I cut
and paste those words to other parts of the same document, they are. I have
spent hours looking through the help files ("exceptions" "languages", etc) to
correct this, with no luck.

-- Kirk
blah
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Open the document where this problem occurs, press Ctrl+A to select all
of the text, click on Tools | Language | Set Language | choose your
language | uncheck the "Detect language automatically" and "Do not
check spelling or grammar" boxes | Default | OK. Then press F7 to rerun
spelling and grammar checks, and save the document.

Word will not automatically spellcheck text that is in a protected form,
so that could be the "certain parts" problem.

kirk wrote:

In certain parts of my document, misspelled words are never caught. If I cut
and paste those words to other parts of the same document, they are. I have
spent hours looking through the help files ("exceptions" "languages", etc) to
correct this, with no luck.

-- Kirk
blah

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

If you are using Word 2007, click on the Review tab and then in the Proofing
section of the ribbon, click on the icon to the right of Thesaurus and you
will be presented with the Language dialog box to which garfield-n-odie
referred you.
--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

kirk wrote:

In certain parts of my document, misspelled words are never caught. If
I cut
and paste those words to other parts of the same document, they are. I
have
spent hours looking through the help files ("exceptions" "languages",
etc) to
correct this, with no luck.

-- Kirk
blah

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
kirk kirk is offline

Thanks for helping me find it. (Having never had this problem prior to my
new purchase of Word '07, I didn't know it could occur in older versions.
Sorry for the confusion.)

Still though, no luck. It simply resets to "do not check grammar or
spelling" as soon as I close that window. I did "save", I did "save as",
both with all text chosen (highlighted in blue), and with text not chosen. I
have hit f7 numerous times, along with the spell check button, with no luck.

Even in the "saved as" document, which has a different name, that language
page simply rechecks the box marked "do not check grammar or spelling," as
soon as I close it.

As for your comment regarding replying to the newsgroup, isn't that what I'm
doing? If I'm not, please let me know.

-- Kirk
blah

kirk wrote:

In certain parts of my document, misspelled words are never caught. If
I cut
and paste those words to other parts of the same document, they are. I
have
spent hours looking through the help files ("exceptions" "languages",
etc) to
correct this, with no luck.

-- Kirk
blah

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
kirk kirk is offline

I finally got it. It requires an additional click, on the "English/US" bar
in the text-box. I think I had to click on it after "default," but before
"okay," but I'm a little afraid of trying to replicate the exact sequence.

I'll go ahead and click "post was helpful," as someone can probably figure
this out if they read the whole thread. Thanks.

-- Kirk
blah