Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
WCDoan WCDoan is offline

Default Saving doc adds text to doc

I have a friend who is using Word 2000 with Windows 98. Everytime he saves a
document it adds 20-30 lines of text to it. It appears that it's information
about the document...fonts used, directory location, user name, etc...I have
checked out the normal.dot file and it appears ok. Even renamed it and let
Word create a new one. It still adds the text to whatever the document is. If
you type one word and save it, Word adds 20-30 extra lines. Anyone have any
ideas as to how I could help fix this? Thanks, RandyM
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

Have your friend display the Open dialog box and change the Files of Type
from "Recover text from any file" to "Word Documents".

What he is seeing is information that is stored in the file as you noted,
fonts, user name, directory location, (which btw, the latter is no longer
stored) and is not normally displayed on the screen.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Coauthor of Word 2007 Inside Out:

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"WCDoan" wrote in message
I have a friend who is using Word 2000 with Windows 98. Everytime he saves
document it adds 20-30 lines of text to it. It appears that it's
information
about the document...fonts used, directory location, user name, etc...I
have
checked out the normal.dot file and it appears ok. Even renamed it and let
Word create a new one. It still adds the text to whatever the document is.
If
you type one word and save it, Word adds 20-30 extra lines. Anyone have
any
ideas as to how I could help fix this? Thanks, RandyM

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
WCDoan WCDoan is offline

Thanks so much Beth. That did it! Benny's gonna love you forever. He's been
putting up with that for months and just asked me today if I could fix it.
Tried, but couldn't. You did. Thanks again.

"WCDoan" wrote in message
I have a friend who is using Word 2000 with Windows 98. Everytime he saves
document it adds 20-30 lines of text to it. It appears that it's
information
about the document...fonts used, directory location, user name, etc...I
have
checked out the normal.dot file and it appears ok. Even renamed it and let
Word create a new one. It still adds the text to whatever the document is.
If
you type one word and save it, Word adds 20-30 extra lines. Anyone have
any
ideas as to how I could help fix this? Thanks, RandyM

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

You and Benny are welcome. :-) As an aside thankfully this issue no longer
occurs in more recent versions of Word. They no longer allow the "Recover
text from any file" type to be a "sticky" setting.