Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
James James is offline

Default Numbering of articles

Hi there,

I'm revising the by-laws of the organization that I work for, and I am
looking for a numbering system that can apply throughout the 143pg document.

There are nearly 200 "articles", and at present they are numbered 1-200
manually. However, if an additional article needs to be added, say between
articles 40 and 41, it is too tedious to redo the numbering from that point
on.

So I need something that will go as follows:

Article 1
Article 2
Article 3
Article 200

where if I were to add an additonal article, Word would automatically
"shift" the rest down:

Article 1
Article 2
Article 3
Article 40
Article 41
Article 42
Article 201

If anyone knows how to do this I'd be very appreciative!

Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You can use auto numbering to do this. You haven't said what version of Word
you're using, but if it's Word 2003 or earlier, go to Format | Bullets and
Numbering, choose Outline Numbered, select the gallery picture that begins
with "Article I," and click Customize.

In the Customize Outline Numbered List dialog, change the "Number style"
form I, II, III,... to 1, 2, 3, ...

Click More to expand the dialog and make any other desired changes. If
you're using Heading 1 for your heading paragraphs, then it is already
linked to this level; if not, either change the linked style to the one
you're using or (better) apply Heading 1 to those paragraphs.

In Word 2007 the process is similar except that you start with "Define New
Multilevel List."

http://word.mvps.org