Word should work better with pictures, captions, tables, and form.

Old February 1st 05, 08:09 PM
HeartAttack

Default Word should work better with pictures, captions, tables, and form.

Working with documents in Word have become so frustrating that it is a major
stress source. Formatting automatically changes all headings when I want to
increase or decrease indentation, figures jump position from one page to
another , without their captions, or vice-versa. Locking figure position
works once or twice, not always. Hours are spent fixing what the software
changes on its own. Why can't a figure remain where you paste it. Why does
formating have to be too smart .
Suggestion: If a figure cannot be placed in a certain location provide a
warning such as a red border highlight. Fix captions so that they do not
dissapear when the window is resized, or a new title is inserted 10 pages
back. Tables of contents screw up all the formatting, even if they all have
correct heading formats. Too many problems, too much frustration... can't
list them all, Word has gone frombad to worse.
Old February 1st 05, 10:26 PM
Jezebel

Cars should be accident-proof, too.

Working with documents in Word have become so frustrating that it is a
major
stress source. Formatting automatically changes all headings when I want
increase or decrease indentation, figures jump position from one page to
another , without their captions, or vice-versa. Locking figure position
works once or twice, not always. Hours are spent fixing what the software
changes on its own. Why can't a figure remain where you paste it. Why
does
formating have to be too smart .

These are all operator errors. Have you actually taken the time to read
help? They are all addressed in the Frequently Asked Questions posted weekly
to this forum, too.

Old February 3rd 05, 05:25 AM
jp

Some of your frustration can be relieved by turning off the autoformatting
features. I turn off nearly all of them.

Also, under Format, Picture, Layout Tab. Pick a text wrapping option other
than "Inline with text" and then click on Advanced...

Set the absolute Position relative to PAGE (not margin or column, because
they might change.) Then uncheck Move With Text. I find that doing this, my
images stay right where I put them.

Opinion: You might want to consider using a publishing program. Publisher,
Quark, and Pagemaker are all based on the print shop premise. You cut and
paste pictures and text as boxes. My wife is a genius with page layout
programs like this whereas I can't stand them because I deal mostly with
text. So when I deal with documents where the picture layout is important, I
do it in Publisher.