Default we have lost the command 'file' at the top of word - how can w

I too have lost my file menu, but do have the others.
I've tried all of the recommended fixes posted here, but it doesn't work for
me. I did notice that my save in file is called normal and not normal.dot.
Could that be a problem?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Many users have reported losing commands from their menu bar. Try these
fixes (in order):

1. Open Tools | Customize. On the Toolbars tab, select Menu Bar and press
Reset.

2. If that doesn't work, switch to the Commands tab and select Built-in
Menus in the Categories list. In the Commands list, select the appropriate
menu and drag it to the menu bar.

3. If that doesn't work (or the problem recurs on restarting Word), see
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/AppErr...ngMenusEtc.htm

"Debra" wrote in message
When we open word, at the top are various menu bars, i.e. file, edit,

view,
etc. But our 'file' menu bar is missing, and we don't know how to get it
back?

The fact that your global template is named Normal rather than Normal.dot
merely reflects your Windows display settings. You have told Windows not to
display file extensions for file types it recognizes. I cannot believe that
one or more of the fixes below would not solve your problem.

" wrote
in message ...

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Many users have reported losing commands from their menu bar. Try these
fixes (in order):

1. Open Tools | Customize. On the Toolbars tab, select Menu Bar and

press
Reset.

2. If that doesn't work, switch to the Commands tab and select Built-in
Menus in the Categories list. In the Commands list, select the

appropriate
menu and drag it to the menu bar.

3. If that doesn't work (or the problem recurs on restarting Word), see
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/AppErr...ngMenusEtc.htm

newsgroup so
all may benefit.