DAL

Default Heading 5 numbering restarts and won't continue from Heading 4

I inherited a document from someone and found that Heading 5 numbering
restarts and won't continue from Heading 4. I've tried modifying the heading
by going under FormatStyleModifyFormatNumberingOultine
NumberedCustomized. I'm not sure what to do especially since I've tried
resetting customized options and nothing works.

Example:
4.1.1.1
1.1.1.1.1.

Make sure that the outline numbering for all five heading levels is set us
exactly as described in
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html

Also make sure that the first 1 in Level 5 is a field and not plain text.

"DAL" wrote in message
I inherited a document from someone and found that Heading 5 numbering
restarts and won't continue from Heading 4. I've tried modifying the

heading
by going under FormatStyleModifyFormatNumberingOultine
NumberedCustomized. I'm not sure what to do especially since I've tried
resetting customized options and nothing works.

Example:
4.1.1.1
1.1.1.1.1.

fiona nelson

Hi DAL,

I had a very similar problem and I highly recommend Shauna's step by step
numbering help as recommended by Suzanne. I found that did not fix the whole
problem, however.

What worked for me was to have the cursor on the heading above (in your case
the heading 4 line), and then use the drop down list on the top left hand
side in the formatting toolbar (it shows what heading is being used) and
re-choose the correct heading (i.e. heading 4). It will ask you if you want
to re-set the whole of heading 4 or if you want to re-apply the style.
Choose re-apply style and see what happens. For me, it seemed to trigger
something in Word and my numbering started to behave .

Hope that helps.

"DAL" wrote:

I inherited a document from someone and found that Heading 5 numbering
restarts and won't continue from Heading 4. I've tried modifying the heading
by going under FormatStyleModifyFormatNumberingOultine
NumberedCustomized. I'm not sure what to do especially since I've tried
resetting customized options and nothing works.

Example:
4.1.1.1
1.1.1.1.1.

fiona nelson

Thanks for the tip Suzanne, you've saved me several hours of work!