bruceam bruceam is offline
Junior Member

Default Control Links Inside a Word 2007 Document

BACKGROUND: I am attempting to create a form within Word 2007. This form uses the same bits of information in several different places within the document. I have successfully implemented this feature using the Unformatted Text object from the "Controls" pallette in the Developer ribbon. I would create a control object, such as an Unformatted Text Object. Go to the properties menu and assign a name to this object. I would then select the entire object (not just its contents), and go to the place(s) in the document where I wanted the link. I would do s PASTE SPECIAL, and then in the pop-up dialog box that appears, choose PASTE LINK, UNFORMATTED TEXT. The contents of the Control object are now linked to this new location.

PROBLEM: When I move the form to a different location (as in "distribute it" for use), all of the objects which reference the Control Object break. Upon closer examination, I find that all of these links reference the absolute path name to the file. So whenever it is moved, or the file name changes, all the links break. This is WORLD CLASS NOT GOOD, especially since this form is intended to be issued to everyone who needs it.

QUESTION: Is there a way of linking these objects in a relative manner, rather than an absolute manner. I do not need to refer to these objects outside of the document.

Thank you for your time and assistance

bruceam