Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tom Adams Tom Adams is offline

Default Control of showing field codes, comments

I have a document that has the fields all revealed and it has a big
fat margin on the right that I don't want.

I can toggle individual field codes, but when I save the document and
reopen, the field codes are visible again!!

1. Is there a way to toggle all the field code to make them
disappear?

2. Is there a way to save the document so that the field codes are
not visible when you open the document again?

Also, comments are showing in a big margin to the right. I can turn
them off with Review - Show Markups, but if I save and reopen the
darn
fat margin on the right comes back and I have to hide the markups
again.

This is a .doc file edited with Word 2007 .

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

1. Ctrl-F9 toggles all the field codes on/off. Shift-F9 toggles the
one you're in, or all the ones in however much text you've selected.

2. I believe the document will reopen with whichever setting you saved
it in when you closed it, but I've probably never closed a doc. with
the codes showing, so I can't be sure.

3. There is a setting, buried well into the Office button, that will
turn off the automatic display of markup when you open a file, but
that's a very dangerous thing to do, because you can't control that
behavior on anyone else's computer, so if you send them a document
with markup you might not want them to see, they will see it when they
open the document.

If you don't like having comments in balloons causing the big right
margin, you can have them appear in a pane instead (I find it a pain);
the controls are under the various dropdowns in the Comments (etc.)
group on the Review tab.

On Oct 18, 2:45*pm, Tom Adams wrote:
I have a document that has the fields all revealed and it has a big
fat margin on the right that I don't want.

I can toggle individual field codes, but when I save the document and
reopen, the field codes are visible again!!

1. *Is there a way to toggle all the field code to make them
disappear?

2. *Is there a way to save the document so that the field codes are
not visible when you open the document again?

Also, comments are showing in a big margin to the right. *I can turn
them off with Review - Show Markups, but if I save and reopen the
darn
fat margin on the right comes back and I have to hide the markups
again.

This is a .doc file edited with Word 2007 .

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Actually, Alt+F9 toggles the display of field codes; Ctrl+F9 inserts a
field. And of course you can Accept All Changes if you want the markup gone
for good.

http://word.mvps.org

"Peter T. Daniels" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Sorry, all I had to go on was the "Using" book, which has no table of
the function keys, but only an index that lists some of the shortcuts,
and that's what it said.

I don't think he wants to lose the markup entirely.

On Oct 18, 5:05*pm, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
Actually, Alt+F9 toggles the display of field codes; Ctrl+F9 inserts a
field. And of course you can Accept All Changes if you want the markup gone
for good.

Fairhope, Alabama USAhttp://word.mvps.org

"Peter T. Daniels" wrote in ...