Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
LabrGuy Bob R LabrGuy Bob R is offline

Default Some fields merge properly and others don't show data

Good Day,
I have a Excel Spreadsheet as my data source and am running Excel and Word
2003 along with windows XP

I have numerous fields in the Excel and they are formatted in various
sytles; Currency, General, Numbers, telelphone numbers, dates and times.
My problem: Most of the data transfers fine into my merge WORD document but
quit a bit will show up with a "0" in the merged field instead of the actual
data. The data will display fine in the excel spreadsheet, but not on the
view merge info button. It's different than when I have a blank because that
shows up as blank.

I have tried restarting the WORD document removing and reinstalling the
actual merge field etc.

The switches on the numbers, dates etc are plugged into the formatting of
the field like all the help files say, and while they will format the
results of the fields that show different than 0, thats all I get from them
as they can't do it with the 0 cells.

any ideas

Bob R

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

For an explanation and some suggestions see

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk/t0003.htm

In this case you probably need to use the DDE option described there.

Peter Jamieson

"LabrGuy Bob R" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
LabrGuy Bob R LabrGuy Bob R is offline

Peter thank you for your response, but it appears none of those ideas would
ultimately solve my prolem. I have about 20 different people that are going
to have to use this database with varying skill levels.and they would be
overwhelmed. I'm going to post another question in here about a different
subject but still related to the merging and some code that some kind people
gave me. Possibly you can help me out with that.
THanks
Bob

"Peter Jamieson" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Understood.

If you are in a position to use VBA then the business of connecting using
DDE can be made easier, especially if the users are not allowed to make
ad-hoc connections. The users have to have Excel on their machines, and you
won't see Unicode characters that aren't in the ANSI set.

In essence, you need a bit of code such as the following:

Sub ConnectToXLwithDDE()
ActiveDocument.MailMerge.OpenDataSource _
Name:="the full path name of the Excel workbook", _
Connection:="Entire Spreadsheet", _
Subtype:=wdMergeSubTypeWord2000
End Sub

If you need to let your users choose the workbook, it can be done in a
rather crude way with a couple of extra lines of code.

Once the connection is made and the mail merge main document saved, the
connection should be restored on re-open (except the users have to respond
to that SQL question).

Peter Jamieson

"LabrGuy Bob R" wrote in message
news
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
LabrGuy Bob R LabrGuy Bob R is offline

"Peter Jamieson" wrote in message
Understood.

If you are in a position to use VBA then the business of connecting using
DDE can be made easier, especially if the users are not allowed to make
ad-hoc connections. The users have to have Excel on their machines, and
you won't see Unicode characters that aren't in the ANSI set.

In essence, you need a bit of code such as the following:

I will try this out and see what I can do with it. Right now the code, when
it's fired from Excel will open the WORD document and take me to the actual
Mail Merge document. At this point the operator merely has to select the
abc to choose the display and select the actual number of the record..
It seems this is easier than the responding to the SQL commnad. I guess I
will have to make sure each computer has had the "reference" added to it.

In regards to the other post, IT does have it locked down and i wouldn't
have a chance of getting them to help out there..

You've been so helpful, thank you so much.
BOB