Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Rojo Habe Rojo Habe is offline

Default Word 2007 ignoring printer driver settings

I've just downloaded the Office 2007 trial and I see Word is even more
infuriating than before when it comes to printing. Word 2000 always used to
override the printer driver settings with whatever settings were stored with
the documents, but so long as you knew this you could sort it out by
clicking 'Printer setup' on the Tools menu. How the hell do I do this now?
There's no tools menu, and as far as I can see, no Printer Setup anywhere.

I have a Canon IP4200 printer with two paper trays. I keep the Auto Sheet
feeder topped up with scrap paper, stuff that's already been printed on one
side, for printing things I won't want to keep. The clean paper goes in the
tray, and this is set as default. Word 2007 insists on printing to the Auto
Sheet Feeder.

This is only with new documents. If I load and old document created in Word
2000 it behaves itself. I just don't know, with this new-fangled Ribbon
thing, where I go to tell Word to use the printer driver settings rather
than its own.

Help, anybody?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Rojo Habe Rojo Habe is offline

OK, never mind. I found it. It was on the Layout tab, in the Page Setup
dialog. For some reason when I originally posted, the Page Setup group was
greyed out and I couldn't get the dialog up. Don't know why but is seems OK
now.

"Rojo Habe" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

Not sure it applies here, but if you go to Page Setup directly from Print
Preview there could be some settings that can't be changed. Closing out of
Print Preview & going to Page Setup from the File menu (or Office/Pizza
button in 2007) enables those same settings.

Regards |:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 7/8/07 11:24 AM, in article
, "Rojo Habe"

"Rojo Habe" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

The default paper tray (and other settings) are stored in the Printer Driver
settings in Windows. If you need one button access to different settings
then the easy way to achieve this is to install the printer in Windows
twice. Set the defaults of one to print in draft from the Top feed and the
other set to print in High Quality from the tray: then use Rename to call
one driver PrintHi and the other to PrintLow (or similar names to
distinguish them easily). Set one of these to be the Windows Default
printer. Now when you print in Word, Word will use the default unless you
specifically choose the other.

But note that Word will only 'remember' your choice for the Word Session. It
will default back to the Windows Default next time you use it. So the best
solution is to add two print buttons to your QAT, one set for each printer.
Then you have true one button print to whichever tray you want.

--
Terry Farrell - MS Word MVP

"Rojo Habe" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

"Terry Farrell" wrote in message
choose the other.

But note that Word will only 'remember' your choice for the Word Session.
It will default back to the Windows Default next time you use it. So the
best solution is to add two print buttons to your QAT, one set for each
printer. Then you have true one button print to whichever tray you want.

No. It doesn't. Whatever is in the Page Setup dialog will override your
default printer settings. This is stored with the document.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Rojo Habe wrote:
"Terry Farrell" wrote in message
choose the other.

But note that Word will only 'remember' your choice for the Word
Session. It will default back to the Windows Default next time you
use it.

No. It doesn't. Whatever is in the Page Setup dialog will override
your default printer settings. This is stored with the document.

What you are arguing about is not what Terry suggested - see also
http://www.gmayor.com/fax_from_word.htm which shows how to use different
printer drivers and settings by macro in any Word version.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Rojo Habe Rojo Habe is offline

Sorry everyone. I didn't mean to start an argument. Tray selection was
indeed the issue in the first place and I misunderstood what Terry was
trying to tell me.

As you can see from my second post, I found what I was looking for and am
happy to continue in this manner.

Thanks for all your input.