Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
AYJ AYJ is offline

Default I have two templates stored how can I set one as the default

I can't figure out how to set the computer to the template I want
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

The default template when you use the FileNewDefault command (the one
represented by the New button on the Standard toolbar) is always Normal.dot.
There is no way around that. You can create as many other templates as you
want, store them in the User Templates folder, and access them via FileNew
(or FileNewDialog in Word 2002 and 2003), but if you want Word to start with
a document based on a different template, you must use one of two methods:

1. Create a shortcut used to start Word that has a \ttemplatename switch.

2. Put a shortcut to the template itself on your desktop or the Start Menu;
since the default action for this shortcut will be New, you'll start with a
new document based on this template.

In either case, you'll get a document based on this template only when you
first start Word. After that, the New button will still give you a new Blank
Document based on Normal.dot. You can add a button to run the FileNew or
FileNewDialog command, to allow you to select your desired template, or you
could create a macro to open a new document based on that template and
assign it to a toolbar button.

"AYJ" wrote in message
I can't figure out how to set the computer to the template I want

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
AYJ AYJ is offline

I've just discovered that one can change the normal template to be like the
template you want, open the template you want, go to add in & templates,
click on organise, and click on copy, and now when you open word you've got
the template you want as default.

"AYJ" wrote in message
I can't figure out how to set the computer to the template I want

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Don't even think of saving a document or template as Normal.dot. Yes, you
can copy styles and such to Normal.dot using the Organizer, but you can also
modify it directly. See
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...alTemplate.htm

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

newsgroup so