Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Mad Dog

Default Cursor Size

Help! My cursor shrunk to what seems to be a font 2 or 3 size. What
happened? It's on all of my documents now, so it has to be some kind of a
general control on my global template.

Thank you for any assistance you may be able to provide.

Mad Dog
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Helmut Weber

Hi,

quoting Jay Freedman:

"Change the zoom setting to 500% and back to 100%."

--
Greetings from Bavaria, Germany

Helmut Weber, MVP WordVBA

Win XP, Office 2003
"red.sys" & Chr$(64) & "t-online.de"

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman

Mad Dog wrote:
Help! My cursor shrunk to what seems to be a font 2 or 3 size. What
happened? It's on all of my documents now, so it has to be some kind
of a general control on my global template.

Thank you for any assistance you may be able to provide.

Mad Dog

Switch to 500% zoom and back again. (We don't know why it happens or why
this fixes it.)

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Neil McCready

I have the same problem, and it can be fixed by changing the zoom or by
changing to Read layout and back again. But I find these are temporary fixes
and when I close out of Word and go back in, the problem is there again. My
small cursor has only appeared in the last day or so.

Does anyone know of a permanent fix ??

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

Mad Dog wrote:
Help! My cursor shrunk to what seems to be a font 2 or 3 size. What
happened? It's on all of my documents now, so it has to be some kind
of a general control on my global template.

Thank you for any assistance you may be able to provide.

Mad Dog

Switch to 500% zoom and back again. (We don't know why it happens or why
this fixes it.)

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

It's unlikely anyone will be able to come up with a permanent fix until
someone figures out what's causing it, and so far apparently no one knows.

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

Mad Dog wrote:
Help! My cursor shrunk to what seems to be a font 2 or 3 size. What
happened? It's on all of my documents now, so it has to be some kind
of a general control on my global template.

Thank you for any assistance you may be able to provide.

Mad Dog

Switch to 500% zoom and back again. (We don't know why it happens or why
this fixes it.)

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Microsoft Word MVP FAQ:
http://word.mvps.org

newsgroup so

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Over The Hill Over The Hill is offline

There is supposed to be permanent fix by accessing the Command Prompt. I
tried it but it doesn' change the size either. Go to
START-ACCESSORIES-COMMAND PROMPT. Right click on the diaglog box title and
SELECT Defaults, then check the size under OPTIONS - maybe it will work for
you - it didn't for me so it is still a mystery. Using the ZOOM procedure
works but is only temporary for the current document.

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

Mad Dog wrote:
Help! My cursor shrunk to what seems to be a font 2 or 3 size. What
happened? It's on all of my documents now, so it has to be some kind
of a general control on my global template.

Thank you for any assistance you may be able to provide.

Mad Dog

Switch to 500% zoom and back again. (We don't know why it happens or why
this fixes it.)

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Microsoft Word MVP FAQ:
http://word.mvps.org

newsgroup so

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

I don't see how settings for the Command Prompt could make a
difference in Word.

But note that you can use auto macros in normal.dot to apply the "zoom
fix." See the examples at http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

It's unlikely anyone will be able to come up with a permanent fix

until
someone figures out what's causing it, and so far apparently no

one knows.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Neil McCready" Neil wrote in

message

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

Mad Dog wrote:
Help! My cursor shrunk to what seems to be a font 2 or 3

size. What
happened? It's on all of my documents now, so it has to be

some kind
of a general control on my global template.

Thank you for any assistance you may be able to provide.

Mad Dog

Switch to 500% zoom and back again. (We don't know why it

happens or why
this fixes it.)

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Microsoft Word MVP FAQ:
http://word.mvps.org
Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to

the
newsgroup so

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] ac@kellettcorp.com is offline

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

It's unlikely anyone will be able to come up with a permanent fix

until
someone figures out what's causing it, and so far apparently no

one knows.

Word MVP FAQ site:http://word.mvps.org

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Neil McCready" Neil wrote in

message

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

Mad Dog wrote:
Help! My cursor shrunk to what seems to be a font 2 or 3

size. What
happened? It's on all of my documents now, so it has to be

some kind
of a general control on my global template.

Thank you for any assistance you may be able to provide.

Mad Dog

Switch to 500% zoom and back again. (We don't know why it

happens or why
this fixes it.)

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Microsoft Word MVP FAQ:http://word.mvps.org
Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to

the
newsgroup so
all may benefit.- Hide quoted text -

I know this is a bit late and many of you may have found a cure but I
thought I would post the solution I used to solve the problem for any
future sufferers:

1) Shut down Microsoft Word (and Outlook if it uses Word).
2) Go to Documents and Settings\[username]\Application Data\Microsoft
\Templates and rename normal.dot to "normal1.dot".
3) Start Word, close the blank document that appears, and load the
'problem' document template (now normal1.dot) using file-open and
navigating to it as in 2).
4) Correct the cursor (if neccesary) and add a toolbar using view-
toolbars (I selected 'Email').
5) Save the document and exit Word
rename "normal1.dot" back to "normal.dot"
7) restart Word and remove the toolbar you added (just to return to
your previous layout).

This worked for me so I hope it is a universal fix.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JustSomeGuy JustSomeGuy is offline

In case it helps someone figure out why this happens, I noticed that the
problem for me began as soon as I opened a document in which I had just
recorded a macro and had set macro security to medium so that it would
function (with the usual macro nag message.) As soon as I opened that
document, the cursor became tiny in all subsequent Word .docs. The 'fix'
described below worked great for me....until later in the day when I
re-opened that original document containing my macro. The cursor immediately
became tiny again. So, at least on my PC, it's controllably repeatable.

There's nothing very strange about my macro - it's just something simple
that I recorded with Word's Macro button. So I'm wondering if this tiny
cursor problem is either triggered in some cases by some combination of macro
enablement and macro security settings, or possibly it's a yet-undiscovered
Word macro virus that has stealthily infected thousands of PCs but only gets
activated when someone enables macros and/or configure macro security a
certain way.

Here's the macro I recorded, in case anyone's curious..it just creates a
macro 'button' entiitled "New Event" that when single-clicked, initiates a
one- line entry into my daily 'event log' and then re-creates itself at the
top of the page for the next invocation. I use it to list the important
things that happened each day:

Sub anevent()
'
' anevent Macro
' Macro recorded 7/4/07 by Bob
'
Selection.Fields.Add Range:=Selection.Range, Type:=wdFieldEmpty, Text:= _
"MACROBUTTON anevent New Event", PreserveFormatting:=False
Selection.TypeParagraph
Selection.TypeParagraph
With Selection.ParagraphFormat
.Borders(wdBorderLeft).LineStyle = wdLineStyleNone
.Borders(wdBorderRight).LineStyle = wdLineStyleNone
With .Borders(wdBorderTop)
.LineStyle = wdLineStyleSingle
.LineWidth = wdLineWidth025pt
.Color = wdColorBlack
End With
.Borders(wdBorderBottom).LineStyle = wdLineStyleNone
With .Borders
.DistanceFromTop = 1
.DistanceFromLeft = 4
.DistanceFromBottom = 1
.DistanceFromRight = 4
.Shadow = False
End With
End With
With Options
.DefaultBorderLineStyle = wdLineStyleSingle
.DefaultBorderLineWidth = wdLineWidth025pt
.DefaultBorderColor = wdColorBlack
End With
Selection.InsertDateTime DateTimeFormat:="M/d/yy h:mm AM/PM", _
InsertAsField:=False
Selection.TypeText Text:=": "
Options.ButtonFieldClicks = 1
End Sub

I know this is a bit late and many of you may have found a cure but I
thought I would post the solution I used to solve the problem for any
future sufferers:

1) Shut down Microsoft Word (and Outlook if it uses Word).
2) Go to Documents and Settings\[username]\Application Data\Microsoft
\Templates and rename normal.dot to "normal1.dot".
3) Start Word, close the blank document that appears, and load the
'problem' document template (now normal1.dot) using file-open and
navigating to it as in 2).
4) Correct the cursor (if neccesary) and add a toolbar using view-
toolbars (I selected 'Email').
5) Save the document and exit Word
rename "normal1.dot" back to "normal.dot"
7) restart Word and remove the toolbar you added (just to return to
your previous layout).

This worked for me so I hope it is a universal fix.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

It must be something peculiar to your PC as a document with that macro does
nothing to misbehave here.
You can fix this problem permanently by adding the following lines to an
autonew macro in normal.dot

With ActiveWindow.View
.Type = wdPrintView
.Zoom.Percentage = 500
.Zoom.Percentage = 100 'set your preferred percentage
End With

see http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm