Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
chris

Default Restart Page No Deletes Even Page Footer

Hi All

Long document with 4-5 sections currently. Different first page.
Different odd and even pages. Significant Heading 2 usage. Next page
section break at the end of the first (title - nothing in footer)
page.

I'm inserting the page numbers as follows:
1. Click in body of page TWO
2. View, Footer (which is NOT linked to previous)
3. Click Insert Page Number button on floating toolbar
4. Highlight this entire field, then Click Format Page Number button
[choose options: Include Chapter No (Heading 2), Start at 1].

Results:
1. Even page footer on this page disappears and all of my text is
moved to page 3 which is an ODD page footer. The page no there is 1.
2. The next footer (an EVEN page footer) has page no 2.
3. Cannot do anything at all to access this entirely blank page 2.
Not even its footers. It's as if I had an ODD page section break
inserted at the end of the first page but it is still listed as a NEXT
page section break. However if I click in page 1 and go to File, Page
Setup the break is listed as 'Continuous'.

Assumptions:
. A programmer somewhere decided that if I want to start at one in a
new section, it must begin with an ODD page footer?
. Rove was right - "WHAT THE?" (apologies to non-Australian audiences;
comedy show host - recommended viewing).

Grateful:
. For your ideas, any and all - thanks.

PS Have installed the latest service pack and feel that I've seen a
step by step outline of doing then trying A B C D, etc to resolve but
cannot relocate this on the web - again if you've seen it grateful for
a url.

--
chris
Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Margaret Aldis

With different odd and even page footers, Word does indeed assume that odd
page numbers (numerically) must be on odd folios ("recto" physical page
sides in a duplex document).

This is correct printing practice.

If you have a single unnumbered title page, you would normally start the
main body on the next right-hand page, and number it 1 (or 3). If you do
continue text on the back of the first page, then it should be numbered 2
(the first page is included in the page count, even though no number
appears).

--
Margaret Aldis - Microsoft Word MVP

"chris" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
anon k

chris wrote:
Hi All

Long document with 4-5 sections currently. Different first page.
Different odd and even pages. Significant Heading 2 usage. Next page
section break at the end of the first (title - nothing in footer)
page.

I'm inserting the page numbers as follows:
1. Click in body of page TWO
2. View, Footer (which is NOT linked to previous)
3. Click Insert Page Number button on floating toolbar
4. Highlight this entire field, then Click Format Page Number button
[choose options: Include Chapter No (Heading 2), Start at 1].

Results:
1. Even page footer on this page disappears and all of my text is
moved to page 3 which is an ODD page footer. The page no there is 1.
2. The next footer (an EVEN page footer) has page no 2.

It sounds like you're trying to force the page numbers to go on the
wrong pages. The physical realities of codex binding led to odd page
numbers always being on the right-hand side.

You can get around this if your printing and copying scheme requires it:
put a calculation field into the footer, {page}+1 or {page}-1.

Variations on that can be used to make columns simulate multiple pages
per sheet.

Assumptions:
. A programmer somewhere decided that if I want to start at one in a
new section, it must begin with an ODD page footer?

For once, the programmer followed the conventional typographic tradition!

. Rove was right - "WHAT THE?" (apologies to non-Australian audiences;
comedy show host - recommended viewing).

This Rove person must have missed the codicology classes when he was at
university.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
chris

Thanks for the explanation - indeed, I agree with the concept but it is
unfortunately not what the client requires. Are there any workarounds
(ie any way to, for instance, access the page field switches or would I
be looking at a VBA solution which says something like:for every new
section page no restarts) so that I can number the first left-hand page
(verso?) to restart as page 1?

Thanks again all.

--
chris
Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
chris

Thank you both.

I'm grateful for your insight - indeed, I agree and have strongly urged
to client to reconsider their numbering system but to no avail. The new
chapter or heading 2 information must begin on a left-hand (verso?)
page. There is often (although not consistently) a related diagram on
the right-hand page and thus the information can be read in context.

I will revisit the articles on page numbering - particularly
sectionpages as their numbering links to the Heading 2 style where
Heading 2 might be, 2.1, page would becomes 2.1 page 1 and so on. I
thought I had heard that sectionpages could be tricky to have working
well.

Could you possibly expand a little on the column idea for me as I
hadn't heard of it before. How does it link in with page numbers?

Thanks again, C.

--
chris

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
anon k

chris wrote:

Could you possibly expand a little on the column idea for me as I
hadn't heard of it before. How does it link in with page numbers?

I've never known anyone else to use it either. Put fields into the
footer, lined up with the columns, so that they look like page numbers.
This can be useful when you have to produce paired pages or for
accordion-fold bindings.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Robert M. Franz (RMF)

Hi Chris

chris wrote:
Thanks for the explanation - indeed, I agree with the concept but it is
unfortunately not what the client requires. Are there any workarounds
(ie any way to, for instance, access the page field switches or would I
be looking at a VBA solution which says something like:for every new
section page no restarts) so that I can number the first left-hand page
(verso?) to restart as page 1?

Instead of showing a mere PAGE field, you can calculate something else
(i.e., add or subtract "1") and show this instead. But, i.e., a TOC will
still reflect what the PAGE field itself shows, nothing else.

You could tell your client to put the graphic on the left hand side and
start the chapter on the right side.

Another thought would be to forget about "Different odd/even" and place
your page numbers in the middle. You can even use IF fields around your
header/footer entries to distinguish whether you are on an odd or even
page and "act accordingly", so to speak. A lot more effort than starting
on the right side, but it could work ...

2cents
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS