Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Mike Row Soft Mike Row Soft is offline

Default Repeat Header Row does not work

I tried the Repeat Header Row command in 93-03 and 2007, over and over again.
it just doesn't work at all.

What am I doing wrong?
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Repeat Header Row does not work

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble with the Repeat Header Row command in Microsoft Word. Here are a few things you can try to get it to work:
  1. Make sure that your table has a header row. To do this, select the first row of your table and then go to the Table Tools Layout tab. In the Data group, check the box next to "Header Row."
  2. Check that you're using the correct version of the command. In Word 2007 and later versions, the command is called "Repeat Header Rows" and can be found in the Table Tools Layout tab. In Word 93-03, the command is called "Header Rows" and can be found in the Table Heading Rows Repeat menu.
  3. Try selecting the entire table before using the command. Sometimes, the command won't work if only part of the table is selected.
  4. If none of the above steps work, try restarting Word or even your computer. Sometimes, a simple restart can fix issues like this.

I hope one of these solutions works for you. Let me know if you have any other questions or concerns!
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

Do you have a row (or rows) selected when you apply the command? The heading
row must be the top row in the table (you can tag more than one row, but
they have to be adjacent rows at the top of the table), and the table must
not be wrapped.

Note that Table | Heading Rows Repeat in Word 2003 is straightforward
enough. Word 2007 is a little more confusing because the Header Row check
box on the contextual Table Tools | Design tab merely tells Word that the
first row in the table should have the formatting specified for a heading
row. To make the heading row repeat, you have click Repeat Header Rows on
the Table Tools | Layout tab.

http://word.mvps.org

"Mike Row Soft" wrote in message
I tried the Repeat Header Row command in 93-03 and 2007, over and over
again.
it just doesn't work at all.

What am I doing wrong?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Mike Row Soft Mike Row Soft is offline

Repeat Header Rows is simply disabled in Word unless you select "None" for
"Text Wrap" for the whole table. There is no warning for this, no one knows
it. I only found this secret by digging on this board.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

Note that earlier versions of Word didn't allow wrapped tables to continue
from one page to the next, which eliminated the need for Repeat Header Rows
for such tables. In other words, this might be a backward compatibility
issue.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
ScottsdaleBubbe ScottsdaleBubbe is offline

I found a "wrap text" check box in Tables Tools/Layout/Properties (in the
Table group)/Cells. I unchecked it. Then I selected the first row and
selected "Repeat Header Rows". It stil did not repeat. So I selected the
first row and in Properties selected Row and checked the "Repeat Header Row".
It still does not work.

Is there another path to disabling text wrap (and why would you want to do
that if you are using table cells for text?)

I also have trouble with hard page breaks in tables and also in tables not
breaking automatically but running into the footer space.

I hate it when "new and improved" is really "new and no longer useful". It
wasn't broken in 2003 but it is now. I also hate paying for software only to
be a beta tester.

Nadina Cole-Potter, Tables Maven in Word 2003 but totally baffled and
discouraged by this one.
Scottsdale Arizona

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

Like another recent poster, you've hit on the wrong text wrapping setting.
It's not the wrapping of text in the cells that's at issue but the wrapping
of text around the table. Go back to the Table Properties and select the
Table tab. On that tab there is a setting for "Text wrapping," with check
boxes for "Around" and "None." You want "None."

http://word.mvps.org

"ScottsdaleBubbe" wrote in
message ...

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Repeat as header row does not work (MS Word 2007) Jon Microsoft Word Help 8 January 23rd 10 08:00 PM
Get Word Table header row to repeat - instructions don't work. easbrown Tables 1 February 4th 09 04:19 AM
Repeat Header Row Cbold Tables 1 November 21st 08 08:49 PM
Header Row Repeat shank Tables 3 October 9th 07 11:16 AM
Repeat Table Header does not work Timboo Microsoft Word Help 3 January 14th 05 06:12 PM