Steve H

Default Can't save document properties

I have prepared a template with a few styles, a page footer, and a small
graphic. The initial template was about 57Kb. When I prepare a small
document from it - about two pages - the resulting document becomes huge, and
I can't edit the title. (I need to be able to edit the title, as this is
read by our Intranet.) Depending on the Word version, I get a blank message
box or one telling me that the Properties cannot be saved. The file is
usually 3.9Mb.

The document size is a nuisance, but not being able to edit the properties
is a disaster.

Any ideas?

There are a number of reasons for excessive file size, including:

1. Fast Saves: Disable this at on the Save tab of Tools | Options.

2. Preview Pictu Clear the check box on the Summary tab of File |
Properties.

3. Versions (File | Versions): Make sure "Automatically save version on
close" is not turned on.

4. Revisions (Tools | Track Changes):
Highlight Changes: Make sure "Highlight changes on screen" is turned on
(or that "Final Showing Markup" is displayed).
Accept/Reject Changes: If "Accept All" or "Reject All" is available then
revisions are present; accept or reject all changes, then turn Track Changes
off.

5. Embedded True Type fonts (Tools | Options | Save); embedding fonts should
be avoided wherever possible.

6. Embedded graphics: When feasible, it is preferable to link the graphics.
That is, when you insert the graphic, click the arrow beside Insert in the
Picture dialog and choose Link to File rather than Insert or Insert and
Link.

7. Embedded objects: These are even worse than ordinary graphics saved with
the document. If you see an { EMBED } code, the graphic is an OLE object.
Unless you need to be able to edit the object in place, unlink it using
Ctrl+Shift+F9.

8. File format: Make sure you are saving as a Word document; in some cases
..rtf (Rich Text Format) files are significantly larger than .doc files.

9. Document corruption: See
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/AppErrors/CorruptDoc.htm.

"Steve H" wrote in message
I have prepared a template with a few styles, a page footer, and a small
graphic. The initial template was about 57Kb. When I prepare a small
document from it - about two pages - the resulting document becomes huge,

and
I can't edit the title. (I need to be able to edit the title, as this is
read by our Intranet.) Depending on the Word version, I get a blank

message
box or one telling me that the Properties cannot be saved. The file is
usually 3.9Mb.

The document size is a nuisance, but not being able to edit the properties
is a disaster.

Any ideas?

Which problem(s) was it? (I was betting on #2.)

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Steve H" wrote in message
I have prepared a template with a few styles, a page footer, and a

small
graphic. The initial template was about 57Kb. When I prepare a small
document from it - about two pages - the resulting document becomes

huge,
and
I can't edit the title. (I need to be able to edit the title, as this

is
read by our Intranet.) Depending on the Word version, I get a blank

message
box or one telling me that the Properties cannot be saved. The file

is
usually 3.9Mb.

The document size is a nuisance, but not being able to edit the

properties
is a disaster.

Any ideas?

Steve H

So-o-o clever; number two it was. As a matter of fact, although I thought
I'd followed your instructions to the letter, after fiddling with "Revisions"
I found that a subsequent change to the format of an in-document hyperlink
turned my neat little "Goto Top" icon bright red. Panic? Nope...
Thanks again!