Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
heathere heathere is offline

Default how do I unlock a document created by myself??

I am having the same problems as you. My documents are locked, and greyd
out....my computer came with word, so i don't have a product key, i don't
know what to do? Someone please help me.

"Steph" wrote:

I have created a document & locked it as it is to be filled in by a number of
other people. Only problem is I cannot get in to change it??

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

If your computer 'came with Word' then it almost certainly came with a trial
copy of Office and that trial has now expired. If you want to continue to
use this product you will now have to buy it. If you paid extra for a retail
copy of Office then the product key is on the disc case. If you have paid
extra for Office and you don't have a disc, then take it up with the
supplier of the PC. In the meantime if you have an installed retail copy and
it is not working, have you activated it - Word Options Resources
Actiivate?

"Steph" wrote:

I have created a document & locked it as it is to be filled in by a
number of other people. Only problem is I cannot get in to change
it??

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Brian Coghlan Brian Coghlan is offline

I think we all understand now that after 25 bypasses, the program doesn't
work unless you "buy it". The problem is, the program doesn't tell you that
you eventually have to register it (meaning you are going to need a cd key).
I, amongst many other people I presume, have my resume in Microsoft Word 2007
and often open the document just to copy it and then paste it on a website.
I can no longer do this.

Is there a way to copy this document? It lets me highlight it but not copy.
Very frustrating, its not like the program lets you know that after you close
it you can't touch anything or access anyhting you have unless you spend
money.

"Steph" wrote:

I have created a document & locked it as it is to be filled in by a
number of other people. Only problem is I cannot get in to change
it??

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Ask someone with a working Word 2007 to save the document as RTF and you can
open it in a variety of appliocations, including WordPad that comes free
with Windows.

"Steph" wrote:

I have created a document & locked it as it is to be filled in by a
number of other people. Only problem is I cannot get in to change
it??

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
frustrated frustrated is offline

I have been scanning some documents and have not been having problems, but
now I'm trying to scan documents but it will not let me save copy or paste
them. I not allowed to do anything. I've tried everything still cant do
anything.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

You need so-called OCR software to convert the scanned data into editable
text.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"frustrated" wrote in message
I have been scanning some documents and have not been having problems, but
now I'm trying to scan documents but it will not let me save copy or paste
them. I not allowed to do anything. I've tried everything still cant do
anything.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
poppy poppy is offline

hi I had the same problem as you guys but luckily i just managed to sort it
out. I bought mine from dell and they sent me everything already installed on
the computer but they also sent me the disk with office on to me on the back
of the it says the product key. when i first went on to word i ignored the
product key because i thougt it wasnt needed then after 25 times it locked
and i was really, really annouyed. So then i decided to go find the disk and
type in the product key i tiped it in and then it was still locked then i
closed it down the opened up word agian and then it asked me toupdate it and
now it works. oh and by the way i'm only 12 so i thought i did quite well
figureing it out lol.

"sara" wrote:

hey! i really have to same problem?/ do u solve this problem yet?/ coz the
also say the modification is not allowed .... too. pls let me know,,,

"littlelight" wrote:

This is exactly my problem. I got a new laptop with vista and it came with a
sample word which I should have installed but didn't need at the time. I
must have surpassed the 25 time limit to open a document without and
character key. So I went online to find one and it opens but all of my
documents are locked. Even when I open up a new one, I can't write in it or
do any other functions. When I try, it says "The modification is not allowed
because the selection is locked". Please help with what I should do next!
Thanks.

"sunshine414" wrote:

tberry- If you have MS Office '07, then the problem may be that you need to
register the product before your Office programs will work properly. You'll
need to locate your 25 charcter product key. This key is located in the
package in which the program came.
Also, you should be getting prompted to enter this key when you launch an
Office program such as Word. The prompt text is incorrect stating that
Micrsoft does not "require" the key, rather that it only "recommends" that
you register the product. This is simply not true. You have to register the
product eventually as the program only allows you to bypass the product key
prompt 25 times before it will lock or "diminish functionality" of your MS
Office programs. It sounds like your "locked" toolbars are the result. Good
luck!

tberry" wrote:

Thanx. When I right-clicked on a toolbar, the drop down menu showed that my
toolbars were locked. I clicked it and removed the check next to "lock
toolbar". I don't know if that is unlocking my word program or not. I can't
even download a memo template and use it because it is locked already.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Do you get a menu of toolbars when you right-click on a toolbar? Do you get
a Toolbars item on the Tools menu (you may have to expand the menu to see
it)? Both of these should list the Forms toolbar. What version of Word do
you have?

"we2bfree" wrote in message
I have right-clicked on my toolbar and nothing happens - I right-clicked
on
a toolbar outside of my document and no Forms appears in the menu. View
doesn't show the option either and tools show Protect document but it is
in
grey. I never locked this document it just happened

Please Help - Susan

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Right-click on any toolbar and choose Forms from the menu. Or use View |
Toolbars and choose it.

"tberry" wrote in message
ok on the Forms toolbar, as stated. Sorry but I don't seem to know
where
the
Forms toolbar is. My toolbars are almost completely greyed out and
under
tools I only have the option to "protect" not "unprotect" and it is
grey.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

On the Forms toolbar, as stated.

"elle" wrote in message

where is the lock icon
"Carol" wrote:

Have you tried Tools | Unprotect Document? Or Using your Forms
toolbar,
clicking on the lock icon? If the document is password protected,
you
will
need to know the password.
--
Carol A. Bratt, MCP

"Steph" wrote:

I have created a document & locked it as it is to be filled in by
number of
other people. Only problem is I cannot get in to change it??

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Chuck Chuck is offline

Steph, did you get your problem resolved? I have a similar problem. My
Microsoft applications are all locked and grayed out. I have no clue what I
could have hit or clicked to lock my applications. Can you are anyone help
me?

Thanks in advance,

Chuck

"Steph" wrote:

I have created a document & locked it as it is to be filled in by a number of
other people. Only problem is I cannot get in to change it??

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Yves Dhondt Yves Dhondt is offline

If they are all locked, your trail version has probably ended and you will
have to buy product.

Yves

"Steph" wrote:

I have created a document & locked it as it is to be filled in by a
number of
other people. Only problem is I cannot get in to change it??

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DonD DonD is offline

This is the is exactly what I am going thru right now. The product key I
have been trying to use is on the bottom of my laptop and it will not except
it. Is this fixed by upgrading the Vista package or a service patch?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Are you sure you were clicking on a toolbar in Word? The only thing I know
of that you can right-click on and get a message about locking or unlocking
is the Windows Taskbar.

There is no way (that I know of) to lock a toolbar in Word (unless by means
of some add-in). Even when a document is protected for forms, you should be
able to access the toolbar menu. If it is protected in some other way, then
the Forms toolbar wouldn't do you any good.

If you are getting a status bar message that "This command is unavailable
because the document is locked for editing," then this indicates that your
copy of Word has not been activated or is a trial version that has expired.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

On the Forms toolbar, as stated.

"elle" wrote in message

where is the lock icon

"Steph" wrote:

I have created a document & locked it as it is to be filled in
by
number of
other people. Only problem is I cannot get in to change it??

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JoAnn Paules JoAnn Paules is offline

No. Read that label again (or for the first time). It does not any anything
about Office, that's the one for Windows. If you paid extra for Office, call
the computer manufacturer where to find the label. If you don't know if you
paid extra for Office, assume that you only got a trial version and it is
now time to pay for the suite.

--
JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

On the Forms toolbar, as stated.

"elle" wrote in message

where is the lock icon

"Steph" wrote:

I have created a document & locked it as it is to be filled
in
by
number of
other people. Only problem is I cannot get in to change
it??

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Phyllis at Croton Phyllis at Croton is offline

This happened to me also a few days ago. I saved a Word document on my
desktop, then hit "X" to close and got a message: saving to Lazerfische (I
don't have access to that) and now all my Word docs can only be opened by
double click/hit open/recent docs. When it opens, I cannot edit - nor use
the scroll button and the curser seems to be stuck at a random point in the
document. Tried saving in another format-cutting & pasting and nothing
changes. We do have Lazerfische on our server - could that possibly cause a
problem?

"Steph" wrote:

I have created a document & locked it as it is to be filled in by a number of
other people. Only problem is I cannot get in to change it??

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Joyce A. Johnson[_2_] Joyce A. Johnson[_2_] is offline

Hi Carol my Word document is also locked how to I unlock this...i am a
student and I have to turn in a paper into the Professsor on tomorrow
(Monday, July 20) please respond as soon as you can....

"Steph" wrote:

I have created a document & locked it as it is to be filled in by a number of
other people. Only problem is I cannot get in to change it??

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
janeifers janeifers is offline

I have also created a document and it has locked, how do I unlock this
document?
--
janeifers

"Steph" wrote:

I have created a document & locked it as it is to be filled in by a number of
other people. Only problem is I cannot get in to change it??

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Unprotect the document. In Word 2003, click Tools | Unprotect Document. In
Word 2007, click Stop Protection in the Restrict Formatting and Editing pane
(which you can display by clicking Developer tab | Protect Document).

On the other hand, if all documents are locked in Word, you most likely need
to activate Word or, if you are using an expired trial version, buy a full
version of Word/Office.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Steph" wrote:

I have created a document & locked it as it is to be filled in by a
number of
other people. Only problem is I cannot get in to change it??

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
BJ BJ is offline

Most of these areas are not available and I don't know why. Actually I was
typing on a laptop and accidentally 'DID SOMETHING" by mistake. And now
cannot add to document.

"Steph" wrote:

I have created a document & locked it as it is to be filled in by a number of
other people. Only problem is I cannot get in to change it??

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
BJ BJ is offline

I was trying to access permission. But it will not highlight.

"elle" wrote:

where is the lock icon

"Steph" wrote:

I have created a document & locked it as it is to be filled in by a number of
other people. Only problem is I cannot get in to change it??

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Word 2007? From your description it appears that the Office 2007 trial on
your laptop may have now expired.

"Steph" wrote:

I have created a document & locked it as it is to be filled in by a
number of other people. Only problem is I cannot get in to change
it??

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
shabba shabba is offline

yes
cant locate lock on toolbar

"Steph" wrote:

I have created a document & locked it as it is to be filled in by a number of
other people. Only problem is I cannot get in to change it??

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

What version of Word are you using? If it's Word 2003 or earlier, the "lock"
icon is on the Forms toolbar, as stated. If it's Word 2007, find the
Protect Document pane on the Review tab.

http://word.mvps.org

"shabba" wrote in message
yes
cant locate lock on toolbar

"Steph" wrote:

I have created a document & locked it as it is to be filled in by a
number of
other people. Only problem is I cannot get in to change it??

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Neisha Neisha is offline

I had the same problem and it was because I had saved it as read only
document and then forgot. It can be easily remedied by selecting the ribbon
icon and under "prepare" select "mark as final".

Good luck

"angela." wrote:

hi tom, im having the exact same problem... have you managed to sort yours?

"Furious_Tom" wrote:

i got my laptop with all the programs pre installed and without packaging.
vista wont let me down grade my office programs back to 2003 and nothing
works. how can i possible activate my word if i never recieved a product key.
i realise that not having a product key is probably a fault of the business i
purchased the laptop off of but the office help function has been
infuriatingly unhelpful. is there anyway that tefch support or some such can
remedy the situation or will i never be able to use word again on my laptop?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

On the Forms toolbar, as stated.

"elle" wrote in message

where is the lock icon

"Steph" wrote:

I have created a document & locked it as it is to be filled in by
number of
other people. Only problem is I cannot get in to change it??

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
dc chick dc chick is offline

I was able to view my document and copy and paste it last night but when I
tried to do that this morning its saying its locked and I don't know how to
unlock it. I have windows vista and need to use my doc. asap! Can anyone
help me?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The document could be protected from editing. For more detailed information,
please tell us your version of Word.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"dc chick" dc wrote in message
I was able to view my document and copy and paste it last night but when I
tried to do that this morning its saying its locked and I don't know how
unlock it. I have windows vista and need to use my doc. asap! Can anyone
help me?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Miss Miss is offline

When I right click it, the only available option is "minimize ribbon"

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

On the Forms toolbar, as stated.

"elle" wrote in message

where is the lock icon

"Steph" wrote:

I have created a document & locked it as it is to be filled in by a
number of
other people. Only problem is I cannot get in to change it??

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Apparently you are using Word 2007. To access the form options in that
version, you will have to display the Developer tab; here's how to do that:
Click the Office button, and then click Word Options. In the Popular
category, select "Show Developer tab in the Ribbon" and click OK. On the
Developer tab, you can then insert form fields via the Legacy Tools button
(in the Controls group); there is also a Properties button for specifying
field options. Click the Protect Document button whenever you want to turn
protection on and off.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

On the Forms toolbar, as stated.

"elle" wrote in message

where is the lock icon

"Steph" wrote:

I have created a document & locked it as it is to be filled in by
number of
other people. Only problem is I cannot get in to change it??

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Note that "Miss" is not the OP ("tberry"), who clearly mentions toolbars and
menus. Very likely "Miss" doesn't even need to access the Forms tools or the
Developer tab (the Legacy Forms palette doesn't include the Lock/Unlock
button, anyway) and can instead just use the Protect Document button on the
Review tab.

http://word.mvps.org

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

On the Forms toolbar, as stated.

"elle" wrote in message

where is the lock icon

"Steph" wrote:

I have created a document & locked it as it is to be filled in
by
number of
other people. Only problem is I cannot get in to change it??

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I did notice that "Miss" was not identical to the original poster.

Thanks for reminding me that Protect Document is also on the Review tab,
which I keep forgetting for some reason.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

On the Forms toolbar, as stated.

"elle" wrote in message

where is the lock icon

"Steph" wrote:

I have created a document & locked it as it is to be filled in
by
number of
other people. Only problem is I cannot get in to change it??

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

It's easy to forget because it's not a really intuitive or logical location
for it; I always have to fire up Word 2007 and look to be sure.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

On the Forms toolbar, as stated.

"elle" wrote in message

where is the lock icon

"Steph" wrote:

I have created a document & locked it as it is to be filled in
by
number of
other people. Only problem is I cannot get in to change it??

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

On the other hand, I remember other commands that are not logical, for
example, Insert tab | Object | Text from File for the Insert File dialog
box. But I guess in this case at least the first step ("Insert") makes
sense. :-)

--

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

On the Forms toolbar, as stated.

"elle" wrote in message

where is the lock icon

"Steph" wrote:

I have created a document & locked it as it is to be filled
in
by
number of
other people. Only problem is I cannot get in to change it??

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I think we've had that one dinned into us just *because* of the perversity
of it (and it seems to have come up a lot).

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

On the Forms toolbar, as stated.

"elle" wrote in message

where is the lock icon

"Steph" wrote:

I have created a document & locked it as it is to be filled
in
by
number of
other people. Only problem is I cannot get in to change
it??

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Good point.

--

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

On the Forms toolbar, as stated.

"elle" wrote in message

where is the lock icon

"Steph" wrote:

I have created a document & locked it as it is to be filled
in
by
number of
other people. Only problem is I cannot get in to change
it??

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Roxann Roxann is offline

"Steph" wrote:

I have created a document & locked it as it is to be filled in by a number of
other people. Only problem is I cannot get in to change it??

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Unprotect the document; then you can edit it.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"roxann" wrote in message

"Steph" wrote:

I have created a document & locked it as it is to be filled in by a
number of
other people. Only problem is I cannot get in to change it??

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
pw729 pw729 is offline

I am also having this exact problem -- I have a document that was created in
Word 2003 and I am modifying it in Word 2007. Specifically, I am trying to
modify content within a table. In Word 2003, you could unlock forms using
the Forms toolbar. In Word 2007, I did exactly as suggested below by Stefan
Bloom. On the same Developer tab, I also selected Protect Document button
and selected Unrestricted Access. I also went to the Review tab and also
used the Protect Document button and selected Unrestricted Access. After
doing all of this, I am still not able to modify the text in the table.
Please advise me what to do so that I can make changes in this document.
Thanks

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

On the Forms toolbar, as stated.

"elle" wrote in message

where is the lock icon

"Steph" wrote:

I have created a document & locked it as it is to be filled in by
number of
other people. Only problem is I cannot get in to change it??

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

In the Restrict Formatting and Editing pane (which you can display by
clicking Protect Document on the Developer tab), you should see a button
labeled Stop Protection. Click the button. If the button is greyed out, be
sure to deselect Design Mode in the Controls group of the Developer tab.

Note that macro security may force Design mode if your document contains
ActiveX controls. You may want to avoid using ActiveX controls in your
protected documents; just use form fields.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

On the Forms toolbar, as stated.

"elle" wrote in message

where is the lock icon

"Steph" wrote:

I have created a document & locked it as it is to be filled in
by
number of
other people. Only problem is I cannot get in to change it??

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

"Tools" should be on the *menu bar*. If it isn't, you can try the following:
Right-click any toolbar and choose Customize from the context menu. Make
sure "Save in" is set to "normal.dot." On the Toolbars tab, select Menu Bar.
Click the Reset button. If/when you are prompted to save normal.dot, choose
to do so.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Steph" wrote:

I have created a document & locked it as it is to be filled in by a
number of
other people. Only problem is I cannot get in to change it??

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
a little annoyed a little annoyed is offline

Has anyone figured out how to unlock there word document? I dont have the
product code, I bought the laptop with program installed? Would the product
code be somewhere in on the box the laptop came in?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

On the Forms toolbar, as stated.

"elle" wrote in message

where is the lock icon

"Steph" wrote:

I have created a document & locked it as it is to be filled in by
number of
other people. Only problem is I cannot get in to change it??

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

On the Forms toolbar, as stated.

"elle" wrote in message