Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Todd

Default How do you suppress a line in word if merge fld is blank?

Hi,

I have an excel spreadsheet as my datasource. I am pulling in merge fields
into my word document. I have a merge field called Company and sometimes
that field is empty depending on what record I am looking at. If the field
is empty, Word shows a blank line. Is there any way to suppress the blank
line if the Company field has no data in it? I have tried many examples to
no success including using the paragraph marker.

Just an fyi, I'm not using the traditional Word mail merge from the tools
menu. What I have is an excel datasource, twenty Word letters all setup in a
unique layout with merge fields embedded in them and I also have a main mail
merge word document that uses if conditions based on a letter code (in the
datasource) to determine which particular letter to show. In the main merge
doc I can then left or right arrow to see the next record with the
appropriate letter shown.

Microsoft support has told me since I am using embedded documents there is
currently no way (other than using there automated mail merge--which I can't
use as I have 20 unique letter styles) to suppress blank lines. I find this
hard to believe as I have embedded other complex if conditions around some
merge fields and they work fine when displayed. I just can't get suppress to
work.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated as I am at a loss right now.

Thanks,