clueless

Default Unable to rotate labels or business cards to make what I want

I am trying to make an insert that is a little larger than a business card
but the text and graphics will go the other way. Size Hieght=3 1/2 in.
width=2 1/2 in. the text and graphics will run the length of the width [2 1/2
inches] and not like a business card. These are going to be inserts into
small packages. How do I re-size the labels or business cards templets to do
this? and which templets would be better to use the labels or business cards?
any othe suggestions would be appreciated a lot as my signature says I am
clueless when it comes to MSWord. OH BTW I have MSWord2003
Thank You Very Much For The Help

Jay Freedman

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 16:15:02 -0700, "clueless"
wrote:

I am trying to make an insert that is a little larger than a business card
but the text and graphics will go the other way. Size Hieght=3 1/2 in.
width=2 1/2 in. the text and graphics will run the length of the width [2 1/2
inches] and not like a business card. These are going to be inserts into
small packages. How do I re-size the labels or business cards templets to do
this? and which templets would be better to use the labels or business cards?
any othe suggestions would be appreciated a lot as my signature says I am
clueless when it comes to MSWord. OH BTW I have MSWord2003
Thank You Very Much For The Help

There's a trick to this...

Word does labels and business cards by creating a table, with each
cell sized to fit one card. As I'm sure you found out, if you try to
change the page orientation, the table layout gets messed up and
doesn't match the card stock.

Table cells don't have a setting to change the text direction by 90
degrees, but a text box does. So the trick is to draw a text box that
just fits inside a table cell, and rotate the text inside the text box
by clicking the Change Text Direction button on the Text Box toolbar.

After you set up the first card, copy the text box and paste it into
the other cells of the table.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Doug Robbins

Hi Jay,

With Word 2003, which the OP is using, you can rotate the direction of text
in a table cell by plus/minus 90 deg.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP
wrote:

[...]

Jay Freedman

On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 23:21:14 +0200, "Doug Robbins"
wrote:

Hi Jay,

With Word 2003, which the OP is using, you can rotate the direction of text
in a table cell by plus/minus 90 deg.

I think I'd better get my glasses adjusted. I was sure that was
available, but I didn't see it when I went to look for it. It's there,
of course...

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

The problem is probably that "Text Direction" (like Vertical Alignment) is
not available on all the table shortcut menus (though you can always use the
entry on the Format menu). I use the vertical alignment command so often
that I went ahead and added it to most of the table shortcut menus.