Rachel

Default How do I recover document if I didnt save?

I recieved a document via email. I opened it and started to work. I typed 3
pages. I closed it becuase I was done. Then I decided I would work somemore.
When I went to open the document it was not to be found. I know for sure I
saved it several times. I searched for it and it isn't anywhere to be found.
What can I do? Is there a solution?
JoAnn Paules [MSFT MVP]

How did you search for it?

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Rachel" wrote in message
I recieved a document via email. I opened it and started to work. I typed 3
pages. I closed it becuase I was done. Then I decided I would work
somemore.
When I went to open the document it was not to be found. I know for sure I
saved it several times. I searched for it and it isn't anywhere to be
found.
What can I do? Is there a solution?

Daiya Mitchell

I believe attachments opened directly from email are only saved in a
temporary file. Unless you resave it somewhere else on your hard drive,
it's not really saved when you hit control-S.

This depends on the email program, not Word.

On 6/2/05 3:25 PM, "Rachel" wrote:

I recieved a document via email. I opened it and started to work. I typed 3
pages. I closed it becuase I was done. Then I decided I would work somemore.
When I went to open the document it was not to be found. I know for sure I
saved it several times. I searched for it and it isn't anywhere to be found.
What can I do? Is there a solution?

PopS

Not much info to go on here, but try searching for
*.doc and *.wbk.
It that's no help, try a text search for a unique word
or phrase you know is in the document. Take a look at
the email again and see if the filename is there;
search for part of it.

Lots of options, but too little to go on to help for
sure.

HTH,

Pop

"Rachel" wrote in
message
I recieved a document via email. I opened it and
started to work. I typed 3
pages. I closed it becuase I was done. Then I decided
I would work somemore.
When I went to open the document it was not to be
found. I know for sure I
saved it several times. I searched for it and it
isn't anywhere to be found.
What can I do? Is there a solution?

Charles Kenyon

This is one of the best reasons for not opening Word documents directly from
email but rather saving the attachment to the hard drive. Attachments opened
directly from email are saved as temporary files. You might be able to find
it doing a Windows search for a Word document file with date restrictions.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Rachel" wrote in message
I recieved a document via email. I opened it and started to work. I typed 3
pages. I closed it becuase I was done. Then I decided I would work
somemore.
When I went to open the document it was not to be found. I know for sure I
saved it several times. I searched for it and it isn't anywhere to be
found.
What can I do? Is there a solution?

JohnR

By Default, this file is saved with Temporary Internet files (Down 2
Levels) in the "Documents & Settings" folder. Go down Past Content.IE5 --
[Misc #'s And letters folder.
John