Johny Lee

Default Formatting question. Please help.

I have transferred text from an apple word program by copy and pasting it
into an email and then copy and pasting it again into Microsoft Word (it was
a last option). It worked, except there are huge random spaces between words
in all the text that was copied this way. How can I format this text to
return the spacing between words to normal. I'm pulling my hair out trying to
work it out. I'd be most grateful to anyone who can save me having to format
hundreds of pages of word documents, line by line.
Graham Mayor

Are the spaces true spaces (display formatting characters with CTRL+*) or
are they a result of some bizarre formatting anomaly? If the former, try a
wildcard replace of
space@{1,}
with
space

or

if there are tabs in the max, replace (not wildcard)
^w
with
space
then select all the text and align to centre (CTRL+E) then align left
(CTRL+L) to get rid of leading spaces.

If the spaces are layout anomalies, apply a paragraph style then CTRL+Space
to reset the text to that style.

If these don't work, send me small sample via the link on my web site so I
can see what we are dealing with. I would warn, however, that I am in the
process of emigrating and so I cannot guarantee to respond quickly.

Johny Lee wrote:
I have transferred text from an apple word program by copy and
pasting it into an email and then copy and pasting it again into
Microsoft Word (it was a last option). It worked, except there are
huge random spaces between words in all the text that was copied this
way. How can I format this text to return the spacing between words
to normal. I'm pulling my hair out trying to work it out. I'd be most
grateful to anyone who can save me having to format hundreds of pages
of word documents, line by line.

Daiya Mitchell

In addition to Graham's answer, see also:

http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting/CleanWebText.htm
For some potentially helpful basics.

And for future reference--I'm not sure what Apple word processing program
you were using, but I'm pretty sure all of them have a Save As RTF (Rich
Text Format) option in recent versions, and you could have saved as RTF,
emailed the attachment to yourself, and then opened the RTF document in
Word, no problem. It may still be worth doing this, assuming you have
access to both computers.

If you expect to do this again, post back saying which Apple program, I can
maybe be more specific. If you were using MS Word on the Mac, the file would
have transferred easily no action needed.

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

Text formatting question Bravura Microsoft Word Help 1 April 19th 05 02:24 PM
Table of Contents formatting question Gail Gurman Microsoft Word Help 2 April 7th 05 03:42 PM
Formatting question Bill Page Layout 6 February 6th 05 08:06 AM
Text Formatting Question HollySprings Microsoft Word Help 2 December 2nd 04 01:45 AM
Apply Style but keep direct formatting? Stefan Blom New Users 2 November 29th 04 12:30 AM