Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
FJD FJD is offline

Default One word doc automatically updates another word doc

I used the control/F9, {}, then insert file option in a attempt to update a
source doc and have it automatically update a target doc.
1) When I opened the target doc the only information there from the source
doc was a lone footnote...WHY???
2) I change the footnote in the source doc and it did not automatically
update the target doc when I re-opened it....WHY???

Thank You Very Much for Your Help!!!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

1. What is the field code of the INCLUDETEXT field, exactly? Press Alt+F9 to
find out (acts as a toggle).

2. To see the modified contents, you will have to update the field in the
target document: Press F9 to update the selected fields. This can be
automated via a macro (see for example
http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"FJD" wrote in message
I used the control/F9, {}, then insert file option in a attempt to update a
source doc and have it automatically update a target doc.
1) When I opened the target doc the only information there from the source
doc was a lone footnote...WHY???
2) I change the footnote in the source doc and it did not automatically
update the target doc when I re-opened it....WHY???

Thank You Very Much for Your Help!!!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

FWIW, the article can also be found at
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/tblsfldsfm...ldscontent.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"FJD" wrote in message
I used the control/F9, {}, then insert file option in a attempt to update
source doc and have it automatically update a target doc.
1) When I opened the target doc the only information there from the
source
doc was a lone footnote...WHY???
2) I change the footnote in the source doc and it did not automatically
update the target doc when I re-opened it....WHY???

Thank You Very Much for Your Help!!!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Thanks, Stefan. A better link is
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/TblsFldsFm...textfields.htm (which includes
the "frame" of word.mvps.org).

http://word.mvps.org

"FJD" wrote in message
I used the control/F9, {}, then insert file option in a attempt to update
source doc and have it automatically update a target doc.
1) When I opened the target doc the only information there from the
source
doc was a lone footnote...WHY???
2) I change the footnote in the source doc and it did not automatically
update the target doc when I re-opened it....WHY???

Thank You Very Much for Your Help!!!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I guess I'm too lazy to do something clever like that. :-)

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Ah. I have all the URLs I reference regularly stored in a "cheat sheet."

"FJD" wrote in message
I used the control/F9, {}, then insert file option in a attempt to
update a
source doc and have it automatically update a target doc.
1) When I opened the target doc the only information there from the
source
doc was a lone footnote...WHY???
2) I change the footnote in the source doc and it did not
automatically
update the target doc when I re-opened it....WHY???

Thank You Very Much for Your Help!!!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

It's actually pretty efficient (though I'm sure there are more efficient
approaches still). I have the most common references saved as "signatures"
in OE and the rest in a (currently) 23-page Word file. That size file would
be unusable if I didn't have easily remembered shortcuts for most of the
commonly used URLs. For example, I can use Find to search for the
IncludeText URL by searching for "detex." My StyleRef article is "lere,"
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...tRidOfLine.htm is "idof,"
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/TOCTips.htm is "octi," and so on. I've
also got them categorized roughly according to NG (Application Errors, Page
Layout, etc.), with headings that show up on scroll.

It's not the sort of file you create overnight, but if you start one and add
to it every time you reference an article, it builds up pretty quickly. I
know I have a lot of garbage at the end (references to "preview" articles
about Word 2007, etc.), but I haven't gotten around to clearing that out. I
do try to update URLs as needed, though.