Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Wally''s Dad Wally''s Dad is offline

Default Access/Word 2007 parameter query merge

In Office 2000 I used several mail merge .doc files (read-only) based on an
Access parameter query to produce individual letters based on the ID supplied
to the query before firing up the Word document. I recently converted the
Access 2000 .mdb to the 2007 .accdb format. Now each time I try to open a
listed Word document, the following error appears:
€ś4605: This method or property is not available because the document is not
a mail merge document€ť
After clicking OK either .doc, .docx or dotx documents can open but only one
record appears. When I then try to run Word 2007s MailingsStart Mail
MergeStep by Step Mail Merge Wizard, at Step #3 by clicking Browse I can
navigate to the .accdb database but no parameter querys appear in the list of
the Select Table window even though they exist in the database.
I tried removing the [Enter publisher's NameID] entry from the Criteria of
my query. The query then appears in the list of the Select Table window€¦ but
obviously, the resulting document has not narrowed down my recipients to the
ID I want to create the letter for.
So, my question is: Is it possible to open a mail-merge document based on a
parameter query in Office 2007? If so, how?
I am running English Office 2007 Ultimate SP1 on English Vista Ultimate SP1.
If it matters, Office Language Pack 2007 Chinese-(Taiwan) Traditional is also
installed but the database data is all in English.
Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Click on the Office Button, then on Word Options, and then on Advanced and
scroll down to the General section of the dialog and check the box against
the item "Confirm file format conversion at open". Then when you attach the
data source to the mail merge main document, select the DDE option for the
method by which the data source should be attached.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Wally''s Dad" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Wally''s Dad Wally''s Dad is offline

Thank you Doug for your reply. Just a quick question before I proceed:
The Confirm Data Source window lists the following 3 possible DDE choices
when I check the Show All check box:
MS Access Databases via DDE (*.mdb;*.mde)
MS Excel Worksheets via DDE (*.xls)
MS Query Files via DDE (*.qry;*.dqy)

Below those is MS Access Databases via ODBC (*.mdb;*.accdb)
Which do I pick?