Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Ken Benson

Default Hyperlinks work for me, but not for others

I'm making hyperlinks in an RTF file. The hyperlinks are to Powerpoint and
Acrobat files. They are relative links, and all files are kept in the same
folder, so each hyperlink contains no path information, just a filename.

When I test the links, they work on two different computers here (both
reading the RTF in Word 2000 in Windows 2000 computers). But when I send the
files to clients (using Word 2003 on Windows XP) they don't seem to be able
to make all of my links work. One client can make the Powerpoint links work,
but not the Acrobat links. The other client can't make either PP or PDF
work. Both clients claim to have their file associations set up correctly
(and they also say they can double click all these files in Windows Explorer
and the correct application loads and opens the file).

Is there some incompatibility between Word 2000 hyperlinks and Word 2003?
Can anyone think of any other reason my clients can't make my links work? Is
there some security setting in Word 2003 that prevents links from working?

TIA
Ken Benson