Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
AVERYCONFUSION1

Default DOWNLOAD A TEMPLATE INTO A HIDDEN DIRECTORY - HOW?

IN WORD 2003, I AM TRYING TO PRINT 'AVERY' LABELS. HAVE GONE TO AVERY
WEBSITE AND SAVED THE .DOC FILE. HOW TO PLACE IN CORRECT DIRECTORY?
'APPLICATION DATA' DIRECTORY IS HIDDEN TO ME.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Are you sure that there is not already a label definition of the type that
you want to use under ToolsOptionsLabels.

However to get access to a hidden directory, in Windows Explorer, select
Folder Options from the Tools menu and then go to the View tab and check the
radio button for "Show hidden files and folders"

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"AVERYCONFUSION1" wrote in
message ...
IN WORD 2003, I AM TRYING TO PRINT 'AVERY' LABELS. HAVE GONE TO AVERY
WEBSITE AND SAVED THE .DOC FILE. HOW TO PLACE IN CORRECT DIRECTORY?
'APPLICATION DATA' DIRECTORY IS HIDDEN TO ME.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
AVERYCONFUSION1

THANKS DOUG! YOUR REPLY SHOWED ME HOW TO GAIN ACCESS TO THE DIRECTORY.
AVERY DOWNLOADS TEMPLATES AS WORD DOCUMENTS I FOUND OUT THAT ARE NOT ABLE TO
UPDATE THE WORD 2003 'LABEL TABLE'. ANY ADDITIONS BEYOND WHAT MICROSOFT HAS
INSTALLED FROM THE ROLLOUT, IS THERE AND IS NOT UPGRADEABLE FOR SUBSEQUENT
LABEL DESIGNS/NEW ITEMS.

I APPRECIATE YOUR HELP BIG TIME!

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

Are you sure that there is not already a label definition of the type that
you want to use under ToolsOptionsLabels.

However to get access to a hidden directory, in Windows Explorer, select
Folder Options from the Tools menu and then go to the View tab and check the
radio button for "Show hidden files and folders"

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"AVERYCONFUSION1" wrote in
message ...
IN WORD 2003, I AM TRYING TO PRINT 'AVERY' LABELS. HAVE GONE TO AVERY
WEBSITE AND SAVED THE .DOC FILE. HOW TO PLACE IN CORRECT DIRECTORY?
'APPLICATION DATA' DIRECTORY IS HIDDEN TO ME.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

You can easily create new label definitions to add to those shipped with
Word, however, and Avery usually provides instructions for doing so in the
product package of new products.

"AVERYCONFUSION1" wrote in
message ...

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

Are you sure that there is not already a label definition of the type

that
you want to use under ToolsOptionsLabels.

However to get access to a hidden directory, in Windows Explorer, select
Folder Options from the Tools menu and then go to the View tab and check

the
radio button for "Show hidden files and folders"

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"AVERYCONFUSION1" wrote in
message ...
IN WORD 2003, I AM TRYING TO PRINT 'AVERY' LABELS. HAVE GONE TO AVERY
WEBSITE AND SAVED THE .DOC FILE. HOW TO PLACE IN CORRECT DIRECTORY?
'APPLICATION DATA' DIRECTORY IS HIDDEN TO ME.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
AVERYCONFUSION1

Thanks Suzanne, although the template I downloaded was only a word document
and I was unable to 'install' into the 'table of products' as would be
desired. I must remember where it is. One would think to dedicate resources
to make this automated as opposed to a Word document (.doc) template and edit
it each time outside of the 'envelopes and labels' pull down menu!

Such is life!

Todd

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

Are you sure that there is not already a label definition of the type

that
you want to use under ToolsOptionsLabels.

However to get access to a hidden directory, in Windows Explorer, select
Folder Options from the Tools menu and then go to the View tab and check

the
radio button for "Show hidden files and folders"

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"AVERYCONFUSION1" wrote in
message ...
IN WORD 2003, I AM TRYING TO PRINT 'AVERY' LABELS. HAVE GONE TO AVERY
WEBSITE AND SAVED THE .DOC FILE. HOW TO PLACE IN CORRECT DIRECTORY?
'APPLICATION DATA' DIRECTORY IS HIDDEN TO ME.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

I think what you are seeing reflects two basic truths:

1. Many users reuse documents as templates.

2. Presented with a real (.dot) template, most users have no clue where to
save it.

You can certainly resave your document as a template (File | Save As |
Document Template), and Word will automatically point you to the correct
folder.

As I say, however, it is much more sensible just to create a new label
definition within Word's Envelopes and Labels dialog.

"AVERYCONFUSION1" wrote in
message ...

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

You can easily create new label definitions to add to those shipped with
Word, however, and Avery usually provides instructions for doing so in

the
product package of new products.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"AVERYCONFUSION1" wrote in
message ...

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

Are you sure that there is not already a label definition of the

type
that
you want to use under ToolsOptionsLabels.

However to get access to a hidden directory, in Windows Explorer,

select
Folder Options from the Tools menu and then go to the View tab and

check
the
radio button for "Show hidden files and folders"

--
Hope this helps.

Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of

my