Change straight quotes to curly quotes in an existing document

Old September 20th 09, 06:30 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Eric

Default Change straight quotes to curly quotes in an existing document

I'm working with a document that now has a mix of straight and curly quotes.
I'd like to change all the straight quotes to curly quotes throughout the
document.

Obviously I can edit it by hand. But is there any simpler way to
systematically change the straight quotes to curly quotes?

I'm using Word 2003.

Thanks.
Old September 20th 09, 07:02 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Greg Maxey[_2_]

Eric,

ToolsAutoCorrect OptionsAuto Format. Check "striaght qoutes with smart
quotes" and click OK.

FormatAutoFormatOK

--
Greg Maxey

See my web site http://gregmaxey.mvps.org
for an eclectic collection of Word Tips.

"It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the
strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them
better. The credit belongs to the man in the arena, whose face is
marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly...who knows
the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself in a
worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high
achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while
daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and
timid souls who have never known neither victory nor defeat." - TR

Old September 20th 09, 10:01 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Peter T. Daniels

With "Replace Straight Quotes with Curly Quotes" turned on, Ctrl-H
(Find-Replace), type ' in the Find box, type ' in the Replace With
box, and click "Replace All." Repeat with " in the Find and in the
Replace With boxes.

Should you ever want to go back to straight quotes, for instance if
you were copying some of your text to email, repeat the procedures
with the replacement option unchecked.

Old September 20th 09, 11:16 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Greg Maxey[_2_]

Peter,

This looks like another nail that could be pounded down with a hammer.
Surely considering your drive for efficiency and in any universe running a
simple macro is easier than all of your option changes, finding, replacing,
and typing:

Sub ToogleQuoteType()
Dim rngstory As Word.Range
Dim myRange As Range
Dim SmartQuote As Boolean
Select Case True
Case Options.AutoFormatAsYouTypeReplaceQuotes
If MsgBox("Smart quotes are turned on. Do you want to convert to
straight quotes", vbQuestion + vbYesNo, "Settings") = vbYes Then
Options.AutoFormatAsYouTypeReplaceQuotes = False
For Each rngstory In ActiveDocument.StoryRanges
Do
If rngstory.StoryLength = 2 Then
QuoteToggle rngstory
End If
Set rngstory = rngstory.NextStoryRange
Loop Until rngstory Is Nothing
Next rngstory
End If
Case Else
If MsgBox("Smart quotes are turned off. Do you want to convert to smart
quotes", vbQuestion + vbYesNo, "Settings") = vbYes Then
Options.AutoFormatAsYouTypeReplaceQuotes = True
For Each rngstory In ActiveDocument.StoryRanges
Do
If rngstory.StoryLength = 2 Then
QuoteToggle rngstory
End If
Set rngstory = rngstory.NextStoryRange
Loop Until rngstory Is Nothing
Next rngstory
End If
End Select
End Sub

Sub QuoteToggle(ByVal rngstory As Word.Range)
With rngstory.Find
'quote marks
.Text = Chr$(34)
.Replacement.Text = Chr$(34)
.Execute Replace:=wdReplaceAll
'apostrophe
.Text = Chr$(39)
.Replacement.Text = Chr$(39)
.Execute Replace:=wdReplaceAll
End With
End Sub

Old July 22nd 20, 11:54 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected]

On Sep 20, 1:30 pm, Eric wrote:
[...]

I know this is years and years later - but I'm hoping you can help anyway. This works great because I have some documents that need to convert to smart quotes, but the rest of the time I need straight quotes. Is there a way to toggle back the autocorrect as you type option to being not selected for smart quotes after running the macro? i.e., toggle back the selection of smart quotes to not selected as it was before the macro ran?
Old July 22nd 20, 12:07 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Peter T. Daniels

If the straight-quotes you want to keep are all in a particular context
-- such as if they're foot-and-inch markers -- you could put that context
into your Find box using Wild Cards, replace them with something else (in
this example they should be primes and not quotation marks anyway), and
then if necessary repeat the process searching for the temporary replace-
ment character, Replace with the quote marks with "Use curly quotes"
turned off.

If that's not a possibility, then you might have to go through and
click Replace for every example (or not).

Old July 22nd 20, 12:15 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected]

On Wednesday, 22 July 2020 14:07:54 UTC+3, Peter T. Daniels wrote:
[...]

Thanks for getting back to me so unexpectedly quick! I proofread documents. One client wants smart quotes, but all my other clients prefer straight quotes. I can use this macro with the autocorrect option off for smart quotes, which is what I need 90% of the time. But if I use it for the one client, then the option is set to "use smart quotes" by the macro. How can I toggle it back within the macro to setting the autocorrect option off again?
Old July 22nd 20, 12:40 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Peter T. Daniels

On Wednesday, July 22, 2020 at 7:15:23 AM UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

Don't use the macro.

Do it the way I explained in 2009 -- still works.
Old July 22nd 20, 12:50 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected]

On Wednesday, 22 July 2020 14:40:59 UTC+3, Peter T. Daniels wrote:
[...]

If I understand the method without the macro correctly, I need to:
1. Set the autocorrect option to use smart quotes
2. Find and replace double quotes
3. Find and replace single quotes/apostrophes
4. Set autocorrect back to not use smart quotes after I'm done with that particular client's documents

I was looking for a macro to do it in the interest of 1, saving time, and 2, making sure I don't forget the last step of changing back the autocorrect in step 4 because then I'll potentially be doing find&replace for every document unnecessarily.