Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
martin gifford martin gifford is offline

Default I'd love sheet tabs like at the bottom of Excel

Hi,
I'm writing a book and I'd love to have sheet tabs like in the bottom of
Excel. Imagine the benefits: I could have separate tabs for:
- New Topic Sentences
- New Chapters
- Polished Chapters
- Out Edits
- Quotes
- Reminders
- Etc.
Wouldn't it be wonderful? Then Word Count would be accurate for my Polished
Chapters, and I'd have a word count for new chapters. There would be many
other benefits.
Is there similar functionality in Word 2007? I guess you can hyperlink to
separate documents, but then you've got to be careful to keep documents
together, and it's not as good. And there's Master Documents which I don't
trust, and isn't as good.

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Create new documents for each of your requirements and use the Windows task
bar to switch between them.

martin gifford wrote:
[...]

suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click
the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the
button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft
Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
jezzica85 jezzica85 is offline

I agree about the tabs--I was just thinking that myself recently. When you
have more than 4 tabs it turns into a group, and then you can't switch
between documents easily. Tabs would be a great idea!

martin gifford wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

You can set whether the task bar groups similar icons or not by right
clicking the task bar and selecting properties, however, the ability to
group icons by applications was one of the best innovations introduced with
Windows XP. Two clicks instead of one is not going to shorten your life!

martin gifford wrote:
[...]

This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to
the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion,
click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see
the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft
Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
martin gifford martin gifford is offline

Graham, your reply to jezzica85 was correct.

But 5-10 sheet tabs in one document would be so much better than opening 5
or 10 separate documents. (God, I'd design a fantastic wordprocessor! Just
need someone else to do the programming for me. You should see my genius old
Word 2003 customisations: 60 buttons on floating toolbars with 2 letters on
each button instead of icons, all in alphabetical order! One click away from
everything! That beats the ribbon for discoverability, speed, functionality,
screenspace... everything! Doesn't look as pretty, though.)

Martin Gifford.

martin gifford wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
ajani57 ajani57 is offline

You're right, two clicks will not shorten a life, but neither will getting
out of the car to open the garage door, but by golly, garage door openers
sure are good to have! I think the tab idea is the best one ever... I just
got assigned to create the 12 page newsletter every month, and having tabs at
the bottom would be wonderful. They should pay people for ideas like that!

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

You can set whether the task bar groups similar icons or not by right
clicking the task bar and selecting properties, however, the ability to
group icons by applications was one of the best innovations introduced with
Windows XP. Two clicks instead of one is not going to shorten your life!

----------------
This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to
the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion,
click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see
the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft
Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
ajani57 ajani57 is offline

lol, good point! But, I counter, when it is pouring out you have to admit
that openers are convenient. Normally, using the task bar is no problem, but
when I have 12 pages open the task bar slows me down exponentially. I tried
the 'cascading' button, as well as the 'tile vertically or horizontally'
choices, but they are virtually worthless. Alas, I'll keep using the task
bar, but just because I have to. Geez, I am wishing for tabs.

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

You can set whether the task bar groups similar icons or not by right
clicking the task bar and selecting properties, however, the ability
to group icons by applications was one of the best innovations
introduced with Windows XP. Two clicks instead of one is not going
to shorten your life!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Shirley[_2_] Shirley[_2_] is offline

Publisher has those tabs for each page in a newsletter. I love the idea of
having tabs on the bottom of a Word grouping too. I'm also a writer and have
found keeping track/tabs (is it a pun if you have to point it out?) of
sections difficult. Great idea!

--
Shirley Gutkowski, RDH, BSDH, FACE

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

You can set whether the task bar groups similar icons or not by right
clicking the task bar and selecting properties, however, the ability to
group icons by applications was one of the best innovations introduced with
Windows XP. Two clicks instead of one is not going to shorten your life!

----------------
This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to
the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion,
click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see
the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft
Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JoAnn Paules JoAnn Paules is offline

They aren't tabs, those are pages. Publisher deals with pages, Word doesn't.

--
JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

~~~~~