Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
tammy tammy is offline

Default Word 2007 "Not Responding" when trying to accept all tracked chang

Hi,

I'm not sure if anyone has seen this before, but here is the scenario:

(We are using Word 2007, but the file has been saved as a 97-2003 version) I
have a user who wanted to accept all of his tracked changes. So we used the
"Accept All Changes in Document" button on the Ribbon. At this point the
"hurry up and wait" circle started spinning (we actually refer to it as the
"Circle of Patience"). After a minute, or two, we realized Word was not going
anywhere, so stopped the program. Upon clicking on the Word window, the
screen grayed out a little, and "Word not responding" appeared in the title
bar. The following message appeared and disappeared when closing Word:

"Word cannot open the file
~WRS{14BF85DA-34E7-4E48-A8CF-7B3F633458D8}.tmp. If the file is stored on
your computer, there may be a problem with your hardware. If the file is
stored on the network, there may be a problem with the network connection. If
you can copy the file, try saving the file in another location and opeing it
there."

I tried saving to another network drive, as well as the C: drive (not a
network drive), but had the same results when trying to accept all changes at
once. I have tried working on the file on two different computers, so I know
it's not the hardware.

When we restarted Word, there was a "Repaired" version of the document. When
I opened the "Show Repairs" dialog box, the only things showing were "Drawing
Objects" numbered 1 - 108. When I tried to Go To the location of these
objects, it just kept going to the top of page one. All of these "Drawing
Objects" are located there. The file does contain drawing objects - they
appear on the last two pages of the document, but there are no drawn objects
on page one.

After testing by accepting changes one at a time, there seemed to be one
change that was causing the system to stop responding - it was the deletion
of a footnote (the first footnote of the doucment). There were other
footnotes removed, but these were accepted without any problem.

So, the fix was this - I saved a "repaired" version of the file, accepted
changes one at a time, skipping the "problem" change. After getting the rest
of the changes accepted, I saved again. Then, displayed the Reviewing Pane,
right-clicked the last change (the one that kept hanging us up), and chose to
accept the deletion. This time, Word accepted it. But, if I tried to accept
it using the "Accept" button on the Ribbon, that change hung up the system
every time.

I did test trying to accept the change from the Reviewing Pane right from
the start, but the system went into "not responding" mode. It was only after
letting the system get hung up, opening and saving the "repaired" version,
and accepting everything except the problem deletion, was I able to then
manually accept this change from the Reviewoing Pane.

Still with me?? :-)

I guess I am really curious to see if anyone has run across anything
similar, or if you have any sugggestions as to why this would happen?

Thank you!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Research Research is offline

I'm having the same problem in Word 2007 on Vista -- clicking on
"Accept All Changes" (on certain documents) causes a crash. The only
workaround I've discovered is to copy and save the whole document to a
new blank Word document. The copy has all the changes removed.

Obviously, I hope someone can suggest a cure rather than this pretty
cumbersome workaround.

Interestingly, "Accept All Changes" works fine on the original doc
when I move it to Word 2003 on another computer running XP.