Toffee

Default how do I add writing to a word doc ?

I am a complete novice to Word so please bear with me on this question.

Each month I have to fill out an expenses form.This form was sent to my home
PC via EMail. I saved it as a word doc with the intention of filling it in
each month by typing. No such luck, what am I doing wrong? Or is it a case
that it can't be done?

Another thicko question - can I convert it to excel?

Please be gentle with your replies,
--
Sticky business computing ???
JoAnn Paules [MSFT MVP]

Without seeing that file, it's difficult to answer.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Toffee" wrote in message
I am a complete novice to Word so please bear with me on this question.

Each month I have to fill out an expenses form.This form was sent to my
home
PC via EMail. I saved it as a word doc with the intention of filling it in
each month by typing. No such luck, what am I doing wrong? Or is it a case
that it can't be done?

Another thicko question - can I convert it to excel?

Please be gentle with your replies,
--
Sticky business computing ???

JR

Just because you saved it as a "Word" file, does NOT make it a word file.
It may very well be a jpg that you have to print out and fill in manually.
A disgrace in our "paperless" society. wink
John

"Toffee" wrote in message
I am a complete novice to Word so please bear with me on this question.

Each month I have to fill out an expenses form.This form was sent to my
home
PC via EMail. I saved it as a word doc with the intention of filling it in
each month by typing. No such luck, what am I doing wrong? Or is it a case
that it can't be done?

Another thicko question - can I convert it to excel?

Please be gentle with your replies,
--
Sticky business computing ???

Toffee

Thanks JR

Of course it's a jpg, why didn't I think of that. Oh well, suppose I'll just
have to suffer writers cramp for a while longer.
--
Sticky business computing ???

"Toffee" wrote in message
I am a complete novice to Word so please bear with me on this question.

Each month I have to fill out an expenses form.This form was sent to my
home
PC via EMail. I saved it as a word doc with the intention of filling it in
each month by typing. No such luck, what am I doing wrong? Or is it a case
that it can't be done?

Another thicko question - can I convert it to excel?

Please be gentle with your replies,
--
Sticky business computing ???

rderize

I can think of 2 other work-arounds for this : 1) Create your own "Word
document" (i.e., a duplicate) of the document that was emailed to you, in
Word, then save it so that you can use it either as a template or as a copy
of the original.
2) Open the jpg document in a drawing program (i.e., CorelDRAW) and then use
the text feature to insert your text in the appropriate places. The
downside; you will then be printing a "picture" which will take some time.
(I'm not sure it's worth the effort, though).

"Toffee" wrote in message
I am a complete novice to Word so please bear with me on this question.

Each month I have to fill out an expenses form.This form was sent to

my
home
PC via EMail. I saved it as a word doc with the intention of filling

it in
each month by typing. No such luck, what am I doing wrong? Or is it a

case
that it can't be done?

Another thicko question - can I convert it to excel?

Please be gentle with your replies,
--
Sticky business computing ???

Toffee

Thanks Guys

My handwriting is not the best and I wanted to send a NEAT copy to the
office . To use the solutions you've given to my question would probally take
twice as long as useing a pen. I must agree with you all, it's not realy
worth the effort, is it?

You have given me 'food for thought' though, and I intend to fully explore
the training/assistance pages.

Thanks again......
--
Sticky business computing ???

"Toffee" wrote in message
I am a complete novice to Word so please bear with me on this question.

Each month I have to fill out an expenses form.This form was sent to

my
home
PC via EMail. I saved it as a word doc with the intention of filling

it in
each month by typing. No such luck, what am I doing wrong? Or is it a

case
that it can't be done?

Another thicko question - can I convert it to excel?

Please be gentle with your replies,
--
Sticky business computing ???

TF

Or, you could create a proper Form in Word (VERY simple) and show the
luddites at work how it should really be done!

For some help with Forms, see the following:

Please Fill Out This Form
Part 1: Create professional looking forms in Word
http://www.computorcompanion.com/LPMArticle.asp?ID=22

Part 2: Adding Automation to your Word forms.
http://www.computorcompanion.com/LPMArticle.asp?ID=46

Part 3: Learn more VBA (macros) to automate your forms.
http://www.computorcompanion.com/LPMArticle.asp?ID=119

Part 4: Use custom dialog boxes in your Word forms
http://www.computorcompanion.com/LPMArticle.asp?ID=127

Part 5: Connect your AutoForm to a database to save input time and keep
better records!
http://www.computorcompanion.com/LPMArticle.asp?ID=136

Use macrobuttons or (more likely with a contract) online forms. See
http://www.addbalance.com/usersguide...tm#MacroButton and
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/TblsFl...acroButton.htm for more
about macrobutton fields. For more about online forms, follow the links at
http://addbalance.com/word/wordwebresources.htm#Forms or
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...nTheBlanks.htm especially Dian
Chapman's series of articles.

--
Terry Farrell - Word MVP
http://word.mvps.org/

"Toffee" wrote in message
: Thanks JR
:
: Of course it's a jpg, why didn't I think of that. Oh well, suppose I'll
just
: have to suffer writers cramp for a while longer.
: --
: Sticky business computing ???
:
:
: "JR" wrote:
:
: Just because you saved it as a "Word" file, does NOT make it a word
file.
: It may very well be a jpg that you have to print out and fill in
manually.
: A disgrace in our "paperless" society. wink
: John
:
:
: ...