KC8DCN

Default Curly Quotes and Index of Terms

I have a document with terms marked for the index of terms. The problem I'm
having is that the smark quotes are oriented wrong on the terms marked for
index of terms.

I have "Term." In some cases, both open and close quotes are open; in some
cases, both are close.

Any ideas? Thanks!
Shauna Kelly

Hi KC8DCN

Make sure there is no space after the opening quote or before the closing
quote.

Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word

"KC8DCN" wrote in message
I have a document with terms marked for the index of terms. The problem
I'm
having is that the smark quotes are oriented wrong on the terms marked for
index of terms.

I have "Term." In some cases, both open and close quotes are open; in
some
cases, both are close.

Any ideas? Thanks!

KC8DCN

The creator of the document has the terms that need to be in the index in
quotes.

Now...from what I can gather, this is what happened...

When the terms were originally marked, they were marked with straight
quotes. So you have "Term {XE....}" Everything was working fine.

Somewhere along the line, a global replacement was done to convert straight
quotes to curly quotes (I'm guessing that the XE fields were showing). All
quotes were then made curly (even the XE's). This is when the smart quotes
on the terms switched.

I've done a global replace to return all smart quotes to straight ones,
turned the field codes off, and another global to turn the straight quotes to
smart. It didn't work...all the quotes were returned to smart quotes.

I'm at a loss right now and unsure of what to do. I think that the problem
is is that it is seeing the smart quotes for the marked terms for the index
and making both an open or close smart quote. I just can't figure out how to
stop the quotes from inside the XE fields to turning into smart quotes.

Unless I have to do something in Word 2000 to help it along...turn off an
option, turn on an option, etc.

"KC8DCN" wrote in message
I have a document with terms marked for the index of terms. The problem

I'm
having is that the smark quotes are oriented wrong on the terms marked for
index of terms.

I have "Term." In some cases, both open and close quotes are open; in

some
cases, both are close.

Any ideas? Thanks!

As I've said, this shouldn't be a problem. The quotation marks will not
appear in the index, and Word should be able to use the field even with
curly quotes (at least that's what I found was the case with TC fields,
which are similar).

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

If you're talking about the XE fields themselves, they do not (should

not
and do not need to) use curly quotes. They will still work if curly

quotes
are used, but straight quotes are the default.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.