Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Jill Jill is offline

Default Sending one email with mail merge

This seems like a simple problem, but I can't seem to figure out how to fix
it. I can use the mail merge with email, yet it sends out one email to each
person on your distribution list. I want to show just one sent email in my
"sent" folder. Do you need to create a group list?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Unless something has changed, I don't think you can do a mailmerge to an
Outlook distribution list. So, do you perhaps mean that you have a list of
contacts in Outlook, then select them and use Outlook Tools|Mail Merge to
initiate a merge?

In which case, yes, you will get one e-mail per recipient.

If you are doing something else, let us know what it is (step-by-step,
please!)

If you only want one email in your Outbox, it implies that the e-mail
content is identical for all recipients. In which case MailMerge to e-mail
isn't the way to go, because there is (as far as I know) no way to get
Mailmerge to send a single email to a set of recipients. If you need to use
MailMerge to get info. from a data source, then e-mail /one/ message to
multiple recipients, I'd suggest that you either
a. do everything manually - do the merge with a one-record data source, to
an output document, then save the document as a Word document, HTML or plain
text, then insert or attach it to an e-mail and send it, or
b. if you need to automate, follow Doug Robbins' macro at

http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/MailMerge/...ttachments.htm

Peter Jamieson
"Jill" wrote in message
This seems like a simple problem, but I can't seem to figure out how to
fix
it. I can use the mail merge with email, yet it sends out one email to
each
person on your distribution list. I want to show just one sent email in
my
"sent" folder. Do you need to create a group list?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Jill Jill is offline

Thanks for the reply- sorry for my late response- have many other projects to
work on!

I should be a little more clear. I have an Access database to manage
grants, contacts, events. My friend would like to be able to query the DB by
a specific event and send an email to the people who attended that event. I
have the query done, but the only way I can think of to send the email is to
export the file, then copy and paste into email.

I did see some VBA (of which I've used some, but more for Excel), to send an
alert email to a specific person, but I am wondering if it can be done for
the group of people, (using the query results?)

Thanks again,

Jill

"Jill" wrote in message
This seems like a simple problem, but I can't seem to figure out how to
fix
it. I can use the mail merge with email, yet it sends out one email to
each
person on your distribution list. I want to show just one sent email in
my
"sent" folder. Do you need to create a group list?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Assuming that the output of the query includes the email addresses, use it
as the data source for a formletter type mail merge that you execute to
email. When doing that, you will be asked for the field that contains the
email addresses.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.