Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
ProcedureWritingNerd ProcedureWritingNerd is offline

Default Copy text line from first page into different page headers

Hi all,

I'd like to copy my version number from the first page on the document
automatically into a certain field in my headers on all the following pages.
I did however split up (with page breakes) almost every page and changed each
section header. So I got about 65 different headers which should contain the
same version info that's on the first page. Doesn't sound difficult but the
standard Word help just won't understand the questions I tried (about a
gazillion right now)... Can any one help?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Define a unique style and apply it to the version number (and _only_
to the version number). Then edit each header to insert a STYLEREF
field that references that unique style. Whenever the version number
is changed, all the STYLEREF fields will reflect the change.

Although http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/S....htm#FormField
talks about applying the style to a form field, it works just as well
when the style is applied to ordinary text.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman